Front suspension problem?!

Webby34

Reaction score
Morning all, I've mentioned on a previous post that I had a snapped spring on my s3. But after taking a closer look yesterday I don't think it is. As I'm new to cars please stick with me on this....... Under the bonnet where the shock bolts in, there is three little nuts with a bigger one in the centre covered by a black plastic cap!. Right, when I go from full lock to full lock the passenger one hardly moves. But the drivers side one moves about 30mm. As I'm going from lock to lock there is a clunk type noise. A lad at work says there is a bearing under the black caps and its that that has gone, not the spring.

Any insight from yours selves would be appreciated. Cheers webby

I had a similar knocking noise coming from the NSF, and just replaced the top strut mounts.
Steering is a whole lot better and the knocking noise has gone.
But the knocking noise could be either the above or Anti Roll Bar Bushes, Track Rod Ends, Lower Ball Joints, worn bushes in the arms or a knackered strut.
I would check all the above for play and condition.

the clunk could be the broken spring moving when you lock to lock the steering.

You need to take the wheel off and check the spring, if the springs fine then its the top mount, youll need to change both side and also do the bearings as well.

Cheers for the replies. Before I have the koni shocks and springs fitted ill get it checked over and replace what ever is bust at same time.
Thanks again.