Wheel bearing issue

Grale1

Reaction score
Hi guys, took the car a trip to Suffolk over weekend and since I've owned it there has been a rumbling noise from the wheels at front, coming home Sunday the car felt weird so today I jacked the car up and the passenger side front has a lot of play when you hold the wheel at quarter to three. Is it pos to change them yourself with a hub puller? Or just a lot easier to get a garage to do the job? And would you have the track rod ends changed also as they are cheap ones, and the inner track arms look like they have been on since the car was new, worth replacing also??

thanks simon

Front bearing requires a press... if you are competent then you can remove the upright and take it to a garage to press the old bearing out and press the new bearing in... it would require a puller to remove the part of the bearing that gets left on the hub too... then pressed on in the right order else you can destroy the bearing...

I would imagine it would cost no more than around £30 in labour to get both new bearings pressed in if you presented the new bearings and uprights to a garage

<tuffty/>

Cheers tuffty pretty much as I thought really, the cheapest price I got was £40 a side if I supplied, but I'm more than confident in getting the hubs off and taking those down to see if its better price, see if I can do it this weekend as well as the poly bushes

I was actually in kwikfit yesterday trying to get to the bottom of a suspect bearing (wanted to put it on there jiggly mot ramp!).

Conclusion was no play whatsoever on any wheel, but on test driving possibly a wheel bearing starting to fail. Quote was £104 fitted including alignment. My car is in the sig, I assume yours wouldnt be much different. They wont supply or fit OEM parts though, they use there own supplier and wouldnt tell me who that was.

The last wheel bearing i did on one of these was a royal PITA, so im going to let them do it if it develops and needs fixing before the service is due.