JMB RetrofitsMonster Motorsport
    Neutral

Status

Just bought an S3 but there are a couple of niggles...

Hi all,

I've owned my S3 2 weeks tomorrow (20/03) and so far it has been excellent. I don't know a lot about these cars so I'll list off the concerns I have and the few niggles I want to address.

• The car has 133k miles on the clock and has a good service history at the same garage for most of its life (it is due a service now). Is there anything common to watch for in the engine bay or sounds to listen for?

• When the engine is cold and at very low revs, it judders a bit. Is this normal? First thing in the morning when coming off the drive way and on full lock it is the worst.

• I know this is common issue. A couple of my console buttons are worn and look rubbish! I won't use a marker as that won't look good but have seen a post that talked about paint. Has anyone painted them and do they look standard again?

• The driver's seat right bolster squeaks constantly. It does my head in but I can't seem to stop it doing so! Any ideas?

• There is a slight rattle when the engine is cold which I believe to be a heat shield. Is this common? It isn't all the time.

• The turbo is pretty loud when you really stick your foot down. It sounds great but I've never heard a standard car with such a loud sucking noise. Anything to worry about?

I can't think of anything more at the moment.

Cheers

Will

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    Sorry for the bump but has anyone got any ideas?

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    give me a minute....
    • there is good service history and then there is GOOD service history. Has the car been on a 'longlife' service plan?? this would be 20k services. If so, this is the downfall of these engines. Whats recommended to new comers is that the sump is dropped, cleaned, oil pick up pipe replaced, followed by oil changes AT LEAST every 10k.
    • i wouldnt say juddering is normal for any car. Do you have a spasm in your right foot? Many will recommend you purchase VCDS or VAGCOM, which is the diagnostic software for these cars. The basic version is cheap, just the cost of a cable. It will save you alot of headaches in the future, giving you precise codes and pinpointing where any faults are, hopefully diagnose your judder. Prior to that, a thorough service, and checking of every single hose/clip/clamp may solve your problem.
    • console buttons, you need plastidip. It will give you near to an oem finish, is very easy, and suprisingly durable. And cheap.
    • take seat out (simple) and grease any mechanisms??
    • get your head in the engine bay when it does this. Common problem is the VVT tensioner rattling on start up, which unfortunately is expensive. BUT dont rule out something simple like a heatshield, its tight down there!
    • check your TIP (turbo intake pipe) for splits. If its the standard one they dont last forever, i had a split in mine when i first bought my car. Good excuse for an upgrade and some more power!!!
    good luck with the car
    Last edited by superkarl; 22nd March 2013 at 11:56.

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it.

I sorted the seat already so that's one less thing to worry about!

The service history had the long life servicing for the first half of its life and since then its had a service every 10k. I've got some plugs, filters and new oil so will be doing everything over the weekend hopefully. May even drop the sump once drained and give it a clean.

There is no spasm in my right foot, it only really does it when the car is cold and soon settles down after a couple of minutes or ocne moving quicker than a crawl. I find when starting in the morning the car needs a little throttle otherwise is occasionally splutters. Maybe the two are linked? Sensor issue perhaps?

I'll give then engine bay a good going over and see how everything is.

Cheers

Will

Missing the S3

Status
    The cat bash plate can some times rattle as the studs corrode and it becomes loose. There might be a repair kit for this although i just removed mine.

Neutral

Status
    Thanks, I'll check that out.

Status

6th Gear

Status
    Silicone spray sorts the squeaking seats.

get a diagnostic scan organised to see what recurring faults keep appearing.
    Ibiza Cupra TDI

Gone:

Audi C5 RS 6 - Stage 2
    Audi 8L S3 - Revo'd

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3_will View Post
    Hi all,

• I know this is common issue. A couple of my console buttons are worn and look rubbish! I won't use a marker as that won't look good but have seen a post that talked about paint. Has anyone painted them and do they look standard again?
    Will
    I've just encountered the same issues, and being fussy with a hint of OCD, wanted all to be correct.
    My headlight switch was severely worn, which is around £80+ vat to replace with brand new.
    Worn climate control buttons have been replaced with a replacement 2nd hand unit from ebay which I grabbed at £45