head gasket

donna

Reaction score
hi i think my head gasket has gone on my pd 150 , if i drive it hard the water becomes all bubbly in the water tank , nothing in the oil and my coolant is still red , and coolant tank smells abit off.

if it is my head gasket how much would this cost me.

any where is shropshire

cheers ray

You need a test doing first to make sure it is your head gasket gone. £30 at most decent garages.

head gasket last time I had one done was £870 inc vat. On a civic.

Sean

It will be your water pump dude, head gaskets arent an issue on the 150 PDs

Um... Not a issue? Ive done a few lol, are your coolant pipes hot top and bottom? Are they rock hard to squeeze after a hard run? Heaters hot when on boost? Yes the water pump impella comes loose, then no flow around system, but it will boil itself!

Um... Not a issue? Ive done a few lol, are your coolant pipes hot top and bottom? Are they rock hard to squeeze after a hard run? Heaters hot when on boost? Yes the water pump impella comes loose, then no flow around system, but it will boil itself!

getting a 150 to boil is a lot harder than your making it sound, with the temps we have had this week getting one up to temp is hard enough, head gasket issue on 150s REALLY, a gasket failure would show more than whats showing, my money is on water pump, and just to put it in to context, i know of a 150 passat (same apart from floor pan) and that had water pump issues in the summer, it never boiled and the bloke drove it like on a track, there not an issue first off remove the stat and finger the pump, it really is that easy

Then how do you figure the micro bubbles in the header tank? Why bother with the water pump if they are that hard to boil... Or is it just there for the heaters?

Just to add it does not need to boil to get bubbles in the system, boost can do this, I would get it checked out if in doubt.

Last edited:
thanks guys bottom pipe from rad to engine block is cold and the pipe that enters top of rad is very hot .

the water pipe leaving the block on the back of the engine is also hot.

i disconnected the small return pipe back to the reseiviour and sent it through the top and its not a steady flow it spits then flow then spits and flows ......................

Thanks
Ray