S3 Turbo Kits? Apart from IHI - What is there?

I

imported_ZeroK66

Hello all,

Well having owned an IHI'd vehicle - I cannot sleep some nights wanting that whooosh back under my right foot.

Looking at S3's now, thought I would put the feelers out there and ask you guys what kits are avaialble.

All I hear are good things about AMD... so do they offer any kits? I never hear anyone mention Jabba Sport, so I assume they are not too popular with the S3 boys.

Anyway... let me know what's out there locally.

Cheers,
Leon

an easy and relatively cheap way to do this is to get an aftermarket K04 manifold, ATP K04 Eliminator (GT28RS) and a 3" K04 downpipe. All bolt on, and then its just the map you need to get sorted.

RIch

AMD dont fo BT kits for S3 do they?

This leaves MTM (not IHI) or Jabba (IHI) or lastly JBS (GT I think)

Dunc

[ QUOTE ]
an easy and relatively cheap way to do this is to get an aftermarket K04 manifold, ATP K04 Eliminator (GT28RS) and a 3" K04 downpipe. All bolt on, and then its just the map you need to get sorted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I ask, the aftermarket manifold mentioned, is this the one Jabba sell or Turbo Dynamics? Also how does the IHI turbo compare to the GT one? am I correct in thinking the GT one creates more lag

[ QUOTE ]
All stage 4 or above are new turbos

http://www.amdtechnik.com/products.variant.cfm?variantid=27

And they'll help you with whatever you want if you have a specific turbo in mind from what I was told.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hows about stage 6?, got £32'500 spare LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif , oh, and its + VAT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rich, Can I ask, the aftermarket manifold you mention, is this the one Jabba sell or Turbo Dynamics? Also how does the IHI turbo compare to the GT one? am I correct in thinking the GT one creates more lag

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not have a specific one in mind. There are, however, enough US companies that produce them for the K04 so will be standard fitment. Finding a strong one may not be as easy though.

Rich

OK thanks,
wouldn't there be an issue with the manifold being for a left hand drive car?

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the topic

[ QUOTE ]
OK thanks,
wouldn't there be an issue with the manifold being for a left hand drive car?

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the topic

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. The manifolds that are available are designed for the standard turbo, and standard downpipe....just a free-flowing replacement!

Rich

£32K, Jojo? what does that give me, I can claim the VAT back so it would be really cheap for me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[ QUOTE ]
£32K, Jojo? what does that give me, I can claim the VAT back so it would be really cheap for me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

From AmD site:

AMD 1.8 T 210 BHP STAGE 6

SPORTEC double Injection-System 460 bhp, 550 NM Conversion for 1.8T consists of: high performance intercooler with piping, high performance radiator, oil cooler with hoses with lines and bracket, power steering radiator, Sportec high flow Turbocharger, Turbo intake with hoses, stainless-steel handcrafted exhaust manifold, engine mount bracket with silent block, airflow optimised intake manifold for double injectors, fuel rail for 8 injectors and regulated fuel pressure, big throttle body, crankshaft for 2 litre engine conversion, connecting rod bearings, 4 reinforced connecting rods, 4 pistons for 2 litre conversion, 2 sports camshafts, 1 modifies cylinder head with ported inlets, modified flywheel, sports clutch, 4 injectors, gasket kit, double injector controller, modified engine loom, air flow meter, exhaust down pipe, ECU remapping and dynotests.

Up to + 250bhp and 185lbs/ft

Exc. VAT - £32500.00 (Fitted)
Inc. VAT - £38187.50 (Fitted)

If you can get the vat back - why not? , I would personally sell the S3, and invest in a new RS4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

If I won the lottery, I'd get the AmD Stage 6, just to see what it was like. I suspect they don't sell too many of them though.

[ QUOTE ]

I did not have a specific one in mind. There are, however, enough US companies that produce them for the K04 so will be standard fitment. Finding a strong one may not be as easy though.

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Rich,

Just out of interest, do you know any companies that do this?

AL

There are a fair few compnies that do them that i've seen before...You think i can find them!? God damn it!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Here are some comparion pics for the Kinetic mani.

img02743nj.jpg

img02730ty.jpg

oem_kinetic1.8tManifold2.JPG

oem_kinetic1.8tManifold3.JPG

oem1.8tmanifold1.jpg

kinetic1.8tmanifold2.JPG

oem_kinetic1.8tManifold1.JPG

Looks like it could do the trick!

Thats the exact ones i was looking for originally! When i stumbled across the cast one. Obviously cast is a safer option as it is less suceptable to cracking .etc. For $350 its a ****** bargain!

So, for roughly £2600-£2700 you could have all the parts necessary for a GT28RS bolt on upgrade. Fitting would be minimal, and then just the price of the mapping. Not a bad price!

You could actually fit it yourself and then drive it to whoever to get it mapped. JBS would be a good bet for the 28RS. £850+vat

Rich

yeah the stock manifold is the pics i posted is from a A4 1.8T. Same manifold basically as a MkIV, but a different orientation.

Rich

i was thinking of the k04/k24 for my mk2 jetta at some point not quite as much overall flow as the ihi but i believe you just have to breath on the pedal to get some decent boost, certainly would be easy to get the power out, good luck

Cheers for the links Rich & AL.

Could someone please explain what the difference would be between the IHI and the GT28RS upgrade?

[ QUOTE ]
Cheers for the links Rich & AL.

Could someone please explain what the difference would be between the IHI and the GT28RS upgrade?

[/ QUOTE ]

Different turbos.. 2 different manufacturers. The 28RS is capable of pushing more power, but at the expense of increased lag. Depends what you are after really.

RIch

Thanks for all the links etc - interesting. The GT28RS does seem like quite an easy option - then step by step work on getting FMIC etc for the car. Mmmm....

gt28rs,one word,LAG
might aswell go for a gt28r,should produce 310-320bhp.

IHI vs GT28R - how does the lag/top end compare?

Rich - you know anyone who has done the basic setup you suggest - getting an upgraded manifold with the GT28? What were the results?

A "casual" un-stressed 300BHP would be a nice starting point.

*bump*

Rich - you aware of anyone who has done this then? Sounds like an easy way to go... =P

[ QUOTE ]
*bump*

Rich - you aware of anyone who has done this then? Sounds like an easy way to go... =P

[/ QUOTE ]

No i'm not... But its not been possible until recently when ATP brought out the K04 eliminators (GT28RS with K04 mounting flange and exhaust flange)

Which one of those manifolds are suitable for S3? Because it seems that those are all different.

SS Autocrome

1402.jpg

Kinetic Motorsport

MANIFOLD%20-%201.8T%20Tran.jpg

DN Performance

DSC00406.JPG

Out of those...The DN Performance one. I wonder if kinetic do a manifold for the TT225...

Rich

No... But the kinetic one above is a K03 manifold...and the turbo sits closer to the head on the K03 mani so downpipe positioning .etc would be wrong for 225 lump cars.

Rich

[ QUOTE ]

No i'm not... But its not been possible until recently when ATP brought out the K04 eliminators (GT28RS with K04 mounting flange and exhaust flange)

[/ QUOTE ]

The RS not overkill then as suggested above? A bit too laggy? What power potential does the GT28R have? Similar to the IHI or less and lag?

Well, GregC has a GT28RS on his A4 1.8T, and says its not too laggy... But thats relatively low boost.

DYNO

Rich