Audi S3 or a 330ci?? What would you pick?

I

imported_ZeroK66

Hello all,

Well as above, I have come to this dilema. A 330ci is 255 BHP - not bad... RWD meaning it will be as quick if not quicker than a chipped S3.

My experience with Audi as a company has been krap - so not really feeling need to stick wtih them as a company.

I love the fact the S3 is turbo charged... I love the subtle class of the Audi brand and have always admired S3's from a distance since they came out.

The BMW's - never driven one, so cant comment on their "excellent" ride and fun etc. I have the badge... so poncy, but WOW the Ci does look sexy!

Sure some others here have been in my possition... why did you choose the audi?

Thanks,
Leon

Before I bought my S3 I was debating the 330. They were the only two cars I was interested in.

I think the 330 and a standard S3 are very similar, performance wise.

A chipped S3 should beat a 330.

I went for the S3 because it was cheaper, I fell in love with it on the test drive (admittedly I never drove the 330) and I wasn't ready to become a BMW driver yet!

Wow, are the new 330's 255bhp now?! Used to be 231 didn't they?

I drove a 330 (the 231bhp model) when they first came out. They are pretty rapid. Great engine sound too. The one I drove didn't seem particularly "sporty". Steering felt too light, and I wouldn't say it had the "best in class" type steering feedback the press seem to make out. But it was a damp day, and I wasn't driving any where near the limit. I also kept the traction control system fully on - and the back end was still skirming all over the place.

And that's were there is the difference, wet weather driving in a rear wheel drive car, would you be confident or not? I wasn't, and the car struggled to get the power down. Jump in a 4wd car, p#ssing down rain, and you can still feel pretty confident.

I think handling in the dry could be a close one.

With regards to just straight out-and-out performance. I think the 330 would beat a standard S3. I know my S3 has had its fair share of performance problems/niggles - but I had run in with a current 323 convertible, and I had to work the S3 to stick with it. Like I say, that may just be my car, but I think a 330 could well be much faster.

The convertible also seemed to handle very well, sweeping round a large motorway roundabout with much more confidence than I did in my S3. And this was in the dry. My S3 just seemed on the verge of understeer, so I had to lift slightly, instinctively really. I probably carried too much speed into the initial turn in - but he did too, but kept going. So...it was either me, or his car gave more confidence for him to push on through it.

But of course the S3 has better tuning potential. A remap will give 260-270bhp. Spend 5-10K, and a big turbo will give you 300-350bhp.

AL

if your talking about 330ci then i assume you are talking of the E46 which is 231bhp. the new 3.0 are higher but there the E90's. the bmw is a lovely car but doesnt feel as sporty/fun to drive and also personally dont think the manuals are that nice to drive, if you do go for one you'll probablky prefer the auto driving style, more responsive.

Sorry my mistake - the NEW one is 255BHP - you are all quite right 231BHP. As standard they run about a 15.2 1/4 I think.

Looking at prices on autotrader - you can get similar year/mileage cars S3/330Ci for about the same price. The 330Ci does seem like a "newer" car and with Audi customer service being as appauling as it is (3 dealers later) - a change would be nice.

Then again... I do miss my IHI... would love to have 300+ on tap with 4wd - hence my dilema.

Going to try testdrive both soon.

Some other factors to consider which I have just thought of...

Although both cars have 4 seats, I think there will be more room in the back of the 3 series than the S3. Plus the S3's recaro's are a pain to move forward to let passengers in/out of the back. The seats are heavy and thick, and not the best mechanism for moving forward & back.

But...I think the S3's interior, especially 2001-> onwards models and in full leather, is still very good. I think better than the 3-series (E46), IMO.

Good luck. Let us know what you think of both cars.

AL

all the bmws ive sat in all have dashboards that look like they were designed in the 80s. Or am i being picky.

yes agreed re the dash - i think the interior on A3/S3 2001+ is one of the most appealing things about them
I was quite let down after seeing the Beemer interior on my mates 3series

[ QUOTE ]
Some other factors to consider which I have just thought of...

Although both cars have 4 seats, I think there will be more room in the back of the 3 series than the S3. Plus the S3's recaro's are a pain to move forward to let passengers in/out of the back. The seats are heavy and thick, and not the best mechanism for moving forward & back.

But...I think the S3's interior, especially 2001-> onwards models and in full leather, is still very good. I think better than the 3-series (E46), IMO.

Good luck. Let us know what you think of both cars.

AL

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree that the seat are a PITA to operate, to get into the rear, especially when you have your hands full with shopping or whatever /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif , but I would treat both the S3 and the 330CI as 2 seaters at the end of the day, don't remember when the last time I had a passenger in the back of mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
In terms of speed, Standard S3 vs 330CI(Auto) is about even imo. From a standing start the S3 would get a few car lengths ahead up until 100ish, then 330 catches up pulls away slowly. Chipped S3 is slightly quicker, but 330 will still reel it in at 120+ - not sure what would happen if 330 was manual though?... The S3 needs to be worked hard though, where the 330 is a relaxed affair, and I would imagine an IHI equipped S3 would disappear into the distance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

just my 2p

an IHI'd 1.8T should theoretically suprise m3's let alone 330's.. personally i think the 330 has nice interior if you get a later one with sport pack too. but still dont think it is as fun as an S3. i dont drive an S3 but my car to me is fun..

Shut it... you got a mingblue S3... thats what I want.

Im lucky enough to have both an S3 and a 330ci sport, and as much as i love my S3, the beemer is twice the car.........

[ QUOTE ]
Im lucky enough to have both an S3 and a 330ci sport, and as much as i love my S3, the beemer is twice the car.........

[/ QUOTE ]

care to clarify that one? why do you have both surely if the beemer is sooo much better what's the point?

OUta interest what is the 1/4 on a 330cd and one that is chipped?

*goes to google*

*back a few mins later*

Nothing pops up really. Seen a few things suggesting the chip to over 300BHP... Mmmmmmm interesting. But can imagine what a biyatch is must be to drive in the wet!