Pipercross viper induction kit

AndyS3

Reaction score
Does anyone know if pipercross's viper kit for the 225bhp TT fits the S3. I assume the filter will do the job but it is whether the air feed fits. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

If it helps, i have a viper on my A3 that was made to fit the 180bhp TT here is a pic of it, might give ya some idea....

Why haven't u got the air feed hose connected /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif as i understand it is designed to have the hose fitted directly to the filter so that the air is forced in. I want to know if the hose reaches to the front grill on the S3.

What is your opinion on the viper kit seeing as u have one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

And can someone tell me how to attach a photo, i have a photo of the viper kit fitted to another car.

Basically do your post as normal then click continue...

Then it take u to the preview stage.

Below your psot you will see a "attach an image" or something along those lines... So click it and attach the image, then click continue and your done!

With regards to the viper kit - Stuart, do you clean your MAF sensor?

Rich

ahh cheers stu and reguards MAF i have never touched it, it was replaced only recently. Has the viper filter got oil on it?

As u see on attached photo the feed goes to the front grill but looking in my engine bay there is no way the hose will attach to the front grill the radiator is totally enclosed and there is no access to the grill, it would have to be routed down beside where the intercooler grill is.

Andy,

I think it will fit. I've looked at both engine bays and if anything, the TT's engine bay looks slightly more cramped.

Let us know how you get on.

AL

[ QUOTE ]
AndyS3 said:
ahh cheers stu and reguards MAF i have never touched it, it was replaced only recently. Is the viper filter got oil on it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it does... Personally i wouldnt touch it for that reason, but as long as you are willing to clean the MAF quite often then there SHOULDN'T be a problem.. but its not a risk im willing to take.

Rich

yea im of the same thought as u stu, if it has oil on it i will be avoiding it, just have to be patient and wait for jabba to make there induction kit for the S3 or hope pipercross make one without the oil. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

Dont look like in going that route then AL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
AndyS3 said:
yea im of the same thought as u stu, if it has oil on it i will be avoiding it, just have to be patient and wait for jabba to make there induction kit for the S3 or hope pipercross make one without the oil. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

Dont look like in going that route then AL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

uh...im not stu /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorry i should pay better attension when im replying, thanks for the info pete /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif sorry ment rich

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

lmao, erm, would someone kindly tell me what an MAF sensor is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif i could be in trouble me thinks as ive never heard of this before.

Regarding performance of the viper, its fkin awesome, massive difference /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mind you, i do everything the wrong way, i got a normal dump valve too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

right, next thing. The Audi TT 180bhp viper doesnt come with feed pipe, they only makie it without (VF) the VFC is the one with feed pipe but as mine is facing the standard feed from the front left wheel arch, it gets all the cold air it needs. Guys, i know i seem thick but i aint used to the a3 yet so at the pod meet, someone show me what the hell this MAF is and tell me how to clean it, id gladly do it, the viper is worth it

Hmmm, reckon id get away with cleaning it and not using oil? Doubt i would, just curious

As Gambba said... No!

The viper kit is a very good principle and probably does work well on most other cars... but not on cars with hot film air flow meters (and any other oiled filters for that matter).

One thing you could do if you dont mind spending £50, is measure up the actual filter... and see of you could get one the same size in stainless gauze instead of foam... Then youwould have all the benefits without the downsides.

Also, try and get a cold air feed actually attached to the intake on the viper... Will make a difference especially when stuck in traffic...
Rich

Regarding the Viper Induction I had one fitted to my Golf VR6 and they are good and do increase the suction rate into the air intake. However from my experience there are three main points to note. The MAF, because its oil coated it has the danger to contaminate the filliment wire in the MAF. Im not sure about the S3 but the Golf had a type of wire which enabled it to burn most of the oil off before it went into the throttle body. The other two points concern the intake pipe which is attached to the cone. Depending where you decide to run it really depends on how much trouble you will cause.If its fitted fairly low then be aware of standing water over a few inches may cost you a new engine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif Also gritting trucks, this happened to me if you find yourself behind one while is gritting the grit will get sucked up causing all sorts of problems.I was lucky. I hope this helps.

Ive found another induction kit, it works on the same principle as the viper kit. Its a BMC Carbon Dynamic Airbox, its sold buy Advanced Evolution. Any one got info on this kit, it dosent say on there webby weather it is a oiled filter. I'll give them a ring tomorrow to find out.

http://www.advanceevolution.co.uk/BMC_CDA_Info.htm

http://www.bmcairfilter.com/

02C-Audi_S3_1.8_Turbo.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

Jaybee, take a look at www.dbmengineering.nl, as they do carbon air boxes, take a read of their site and let me know what filters their using, It looks like RamAir and K&N, and the ram air they just say is foam....so I'm assuming it's the oiled type. I might give them a call when I'm back in the office on Wednesday and see what they say about the oil and MAF's.....or maybe you could.

Oh, and while looking through the Autovisie tuning catalogue I saw one for €892!! (Maybe from DBM??!!)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
JayBeeS3 said:
yeah but preferably a bit more reliable........ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif How true!

[ QUOTE ]
AL B said:
Gambba,

But isn't just a polymer "oil"? So just another fluid which could potentially contaminate the MAF?

AL

[/ QUOTE ]

No, in the way that I understand it is that it is more adhearing to the foam unlike oil, but i'm not overly sure.

Has anyone looked at BMC as an option? and know what filter they use? The boxes are far cheaper than those from DBM engineering at only 189.99 GBP for the complete set for the A3....but again it depend son their filter that they are using. http://www.passionmotorsport.co.uk/BMC1.htm

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Drill, just put an old sock over the intake pipe, that should do it. Perhaps a US Army issue sock would be best.

AL

[ QUOTE ]
AL B said:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Drill, just put an old sock over the intake pipe, that should do it. Perhaps a US Army issue sock would be best.

AL

[/ QUOTE ]

Not forgetting to save the other sock for himself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif