Canbus

Dom Knight

Reaction score
I have a canbus system on my bike, so I know that previous faults when repaired, you have to reset the canbus system memory values to zero or the canbus just keeps saying that the fault is still there.

So I am assuming that as the canbus said that the car's hatch was still open when in fact it was locked shut that I will have to get someone to reset the canbus on our car.

What do you think ?

Canbus is just the communication protocol that allows the control units on a car to talk to each other. I think you mean fault codes.

If there is a fault code stored for boot hatch lock switch position open circuit/plausibility and you have had the switch repaired/replaced, then yes the fault code will require clearing with the use of a diagnostic system. VCDS for example.

The lock switch doesn't always log a fault code though. So if the car still reports that the boot hatch is open when it is shut, and the switch has been replaced with a new/known working lock switch and there are no fault codes stored. Then I would be checking the wiring to the switch. Particularly around where the loom goes from car body to the hatch.

The boot switches (and the door switches for that matter) are a common fault... most of the time they don't register that the door/boot is open..

8L cars use K-Line communications by the way :)

<tuffty/>

Hi guys.

I went outside with the workshop book and followed the steps on how to refit the rear hatch lock
And now I can say the light for the tailgate goes out when the car ignition is turned on.

So, i have me an A3 8L from 2002. 1.8T. No idea if its an Ambiente or Ambition model. Have anyone found out a sure way to tell if it has canbus or not? I an trying to install aftermarket HIDs. Mostly info i find by using google is in german.

8L comms are K-Line and only use canbus for the instruments/radio..

<tuffty/>