Fuel

starski4578

Reaction score
Can someone clarify for me the reason i should only use optimax or something similar now that i have had the revo upgrade software installed. Does everyone on here with chipped cars use super unleaded? I was just wondering how vital it was, as i dont want to knacker the engine!

its not vital but its all i run my std S3 on its all to do with the octane and advancement of the timing. if you had a optimax map put on the car then stick with it. You do actually get more mpg out of optimax than unleaded so it pays for itself.

Cheers mate, but whats the talk about melting a piston? Is that common if u use crap fuel? The garage that did my car told me to run optimax or this could happen( worst case scenario) Does it stop the engine from running too hot??

Just found this on a web page i think it has answered my question. If you put a 95 RON petrol in a car that is set to 98 RON petrol, the piston will compress the chamber too much and the pentane will push the piston down too early causing a shuddering in the drive. This is known as "pinking" or "pinging". This will damage your car. This is why octane ratings are important.

I think you will find that most cars are tuned to run 95RON fuel, but the added bonus of 97RON/Optimax fuels will reduce the risk of pinking as mentioned above. Most modern engines have knock sensors to detect pinking, and *******(?) the ignition timing to prevent the 'pinks'. New petrol Audi's also have the ability to advance the ignition timing, when it detects higher octane fuel being used, to give you the most power/benefits and economy.

I use 95 octane in my MTM remaped S3 but I use miller octane booster to help get it up to 97. Would use 97 at the pump but it`s very hard to get it in Ireland.