Badger5Monster Motorsport
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By voorhees
  • 1 Post By voorhees

Thread: '99 A3 8L: Passenger window not operable by driver control

  1. #1
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    25

    '99 A3 8L: Passenger window not operable by driver control

    As per the topic, the '99 that I'm looking at picking up has an odd issue. The passenger window control works fine, but if the driver wants to roll down the passenger window it doesn't work. Likewise, using the keyfob or turn-in-the-lock trick will not operate said window.

    Is this likely a faulty switch, a wiring issue, or something else entirely?

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    voorhees's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Leafy Warwickshire
    Posts
    14,896

  4. #3
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    25
    Sorry, I should have been more clear. The window operates 100% correctly from the controls on the passenger door. It's only from the driver switch set and keyfob that it doesn't respond.

  5. #4
    voorhees's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Leafy Warwickshire
    Posts
    14,896
    Quote Originally Posted by grue View Post
    Sorry, I should have been more clear. The window operates 100% correctly from the controls on the passenger door. It's only from the driver switch set and keyfob that it doesn't respond.
    Yes the usual suspects are the above,if the drivers window isn't budging I would say its one of the above,can you hear the motor when trying to lower it ?

  6. #5
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by voorhees View Post
    Yes the usual suspects are the above,if the drivers window isn't budging I would say its one of the above,can you hear the motor when trying to lower it ?

    Ack I'm still being unclear.

    I'll do it this way:

    Driver window: Works perfectly.

    Passenger window: Works fine from passenger-side control, but driver cannot lower the passenger-side window unless he leans over and actually presses the switch himself. Using the key fob will lower the driver window, but not passenger window.

  7. #6
    voorhees's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Leafy Warwickshire
    Posts
    14,896
    Maybe a loose earth/wire,have you checked the connectors ?
    grue likes this.

  8. #7
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    25
    Haven't yet taken delivery yet, it's going off to a mechanic for a once-over before I pick it up. If it's not still damned near 40 degrees here in Melbourne, I'll strip down the door this weekend and get out the multi-meter.

  9. #8
    voorhees's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Leafy Warwickshire
    Posts
    14,896
    Quote Originally Posted by grue View Post
    Haven't yet taken delivery yet, it's going off to a mechanic for a once-over before I pick it up. If it's not still damned near 40 degrees here in Melbourne, I'll strip down the door this weekend and get out the multi-meter.
    Aaah an Aussie good on yer mate love the place ,theres an A3 workshop manual on pdf in the stickies at the top of this section A3/S3 FAQ / How To's / Tuning Info STICKIES - PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
    The wiring diagram might be applicable for you plus lots of other advice.
    grue likes this.

  10. #9
    Prawn's Avatar
    My other car is a MINI!!!!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    9,358
    mine does this too, but even more strangely, I can roll the pax window down from the drivers side control, but have to lean across to put it back up!

    It only occured after changing the door and window mech. Most odd indeed! When I press and hold lock though, both windows go up!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

    But I know nothing so ignore me.

  11. #10
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by voorhees View Post
    Aaah an Aussie good on yer mate love the place ,theres an A3 workshop manual on pdf in the stickies at the top of this section A3/S3 FAQ / How To's / Tuning Info STICKIES - PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
    The wiring diagram might be applicable for you plus lots of other advice.
    Oh outstanding, thanks sir.

    Yeah it seems like y'all have a much better range of forums for most VW/Audi car stuff (I love VWVortex and have thousands of posts from my MKIV Jetta (aka Bora) days back in the US, but they don't have the 8L units there so they're useless for this sort of thing

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Help please :( Passenger window not going the whole way up!!
    By Audi-Chick in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 20th January 2013, 21:35
  2. Please Help Passenger Windows not working!
    By gsmboy in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10th February 2012, 08:54
  3. Passenger window switch not working
    By Wil2294 in forum Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 4th July 2010, 23:49
  4. A3 Passenger windows not working please help!
    By EvoFQ400 in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 30th April 2009, 08:15
  5. Passenger window found down !!
    By impmad in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 29th October 2003, 20:04

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO