Painting interior

James TQ

Reaction score
Has anyone ever painted there centre console, mines a horrible Mat grey and black, it's all rough and scuffed, has anyone tidied there's up maybe gloss paint?

I suppose I'd just sand it down prime and spray over?

i have done it with every car i own, look at the audi pics post mine the blue with white/black interior, if u sand it down with a rough paper prime maybe even filler prime if u want a smoother finish and spray over make sure u use laquer after too

done the centre console gloss black, when i get a bit more free time i will spray the bit around the gear stick gloss black aswell

Ill look into getting it dipped, if I spray it myself I don't want the laquer to peel a month down the line and look naff! Ta boys

I sprayed mine on my previous tqs, as long as you allow decent time between coats and a few coats of lacquer, it'll be fine.

What sort of finish do you want?

You got the rubber type coating on your dash, the same as they put on the buttons and knobs?
If so, you can remove that with some thinners.
That's what I did with my dash bit around the gear stick and then wrapped it.

I also plasti dipped my dash but it kept all the texture, if you was going to do that, you'd want to make it smooth.
I painted my BMW dash but that was a *****, I had to sand it all down till it was smooth, primed, painted and lacquered. Lasted many years.

May take a trip to halfords get some spray! Was looking iti plasti dip I thought it was getting it dipped as in coated but now I feel I'm going to order many a can.... How many 400ml cans of plasti dip do you think it will take to do my wheels?

May take a trip to halfords get some spray! Was looking iti plasti dip I thought it was getting it dipped as in coated but now I feel I'm going to order many a can.... How many 400ml cans of plasti dip do you think it will take to do my wheels?

I heard about 4 tins.
I don't use tins so I'm not sure.

My plasti dipped dash.

2e58e21d.jpg

a190b141.jpg

Close up showing it keeps the texture.
07943665.jpg

e4a7ac93.jpg

Still not sure on spray and laquer or try for some black plasti, on the plasti dip uk site there out of black so may just use spray

both TBH, i dont want it to peel and flake off

Plasti dip wont flake off, it will peel if given enough grief like a ring, keys or finger nail caught it.
Mine is starting to come away from some section due removing the glove box or gear stick surround.

The paint is fine if done right and primed.
I never had any issues with mine and I use to throw stuff down on my dash.

I'll try and find some images for you.

EDIT:=- Its a BMW but the basic dash painting principles are the same.

meet22.jpg

meet24.jpg

1DSC00972.jpg

Last edited: