AH FabricationsChris Nott
    Reverse Gear

Status

Audi s3 FUEL Smell ??

Hi everybody I have Owned my Audi S3 8L for a just under 2 months and running sweet I noticed after buying it there was a smell of fuel I didn't think much of it and it was due a service anyway

so I had it serviced new fuel filter new pollen filter new spark plugs oil change and filter new abs sensor for front, also auxiliary belt

all this work was sorted and done on Thursday
    Friday, I drove from wolverhampton to Northampton and on my way back fuel smell turned up again while sitting on the amazing m6 traffic , any one have any idea of what it could be?

Only seems to come when stopped or local driving.

Installed to the car is a forodge 007 re-circulating dump valve silenced
    And a AMD remap to 260bhp
    just n case this would corse it :-S

Thank you for reading my thread

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Could be a dodgy map....... I.e they have just whacked the boost and fuel up so its over - fueling when on tick over or when your not thrashing it. Though I would think the ecu would be able to accommodate this for all conditions..... :-s

Have you noticed a poor return on mpg? Have you got access to vcds to scan it? Puddle of fuel when you park it lol? Engine light on?

Sean
    Current: 2013 Audi A3 2.0 tdi s line 8V in black SD nav+ extras, E46 BMW M3, 1971 Volvo p1800, 2014 Ford transit sport 155ps ;-)

Previous : Focus st 225 stage 1 (265 bhp and too much torque), 2002 audi s3 bam engine completely OEM, 2001 Audi a3 1.8 TQS 221bhp and about 20 other cars, majority civics ek4/ek9 and Bmw / Audi soot chucker's!

Reverse Gear

Status
    To be honest it's never there on tick over as I have tried leavening it running on my drive to see if it smell comes and it don't , but after a about 10 miles and stopping at a set of lights it starts coming but it seems to be come through the heater system if i turn heating off smell disappears :-S

no fuel on floor or leaks

well after service the mpg has gone a lot better but still poor then again I done 135 miles on £30 @ 1.38per litre

No engine management lights

when a computer is plugged into it it has no faults or fault codes if that's what you mean by vcds

5th Gear

Status
    Has someone fitted a catch can and vented it to atmosphere near the top end of the engine bay? Pcv simplify search the forum

sean
    Current: 2013 Audi A3 2.0 tdi s line 8V in black SD nav+ extras, E46 BMW M3, 1971 Volvo p1800, 2014 Ford transit sport 155ps ;-)

Previous : Focus st 225 stage 1 (265 bhp and too much torque), 2002 audi s3 bam engine completely OEM, 2001 Audi a3 1.8 TQS 221bhp and about 20 other cars, majority civics ek4/ek9 and Bmw / Audi soot chucker's!

Guess what I drive...

Status

My Social Networking

Add Vex182 on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by s33nyboy12 View Post
    Has someone fitted a catch can and vented it to atmosphere near the top end of the engine bay? Pcv simplify search the forum

sean
    Agreed, I think this is most likey.
    Silver 2002 Audi S3 225 (BAM) since March 2011.

Mods: Badger5 2.2 TIP, Jetex filter, PCV delete, 710 DV, N249 bypass, R-Tech Stage 1 TiV Remap, Audi TT Pedals, Red Dogbone, Polybushed tie arms. All silicone boost pipes, Michelin PS3s, Red V6 coil packs, MK4 flat blade conversion, retrofited cruise control.
    Currently: 254bhp - 276lb/ft (174bhp/ton) as of 11/02/2013 On V-Power

5th Gear

Status
    Fuel smell in cabin

checkthis thread, read all of it.

Sean

1st Gear

Status
    I had a faint smell of fuel from my engine bay the other week, not inside the cabin though. it turned out to be the pipe that comes from the carbon canister by the coolant bottle had rubbed through, I cut and joined the pipe back together, all ok now. I would also check the fpr hose, injector seals and smell round the fuel cap as may be a dodgy seal.

4th Gear

Status
    Check the PCV tubes, rocker cover breather, crank breather, I had a petrol smell when one of my breathers was split, didn't find it was split until I had pulled all the tubes out.

S3 AMK 2002. Only 203 BHP left in my poor little engine, currently searching for the 7 missing horses.
    Mods: Powerflex bushes at the front and rear, 710P DV, ambient light module, Badger5 V3 TIP, S2000 Filter.

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by markyR View Post
    I had a faint smell of fuel from my engine bay the other week, not inside the cabin though. it turned out to be the pipe that comes from the carbon canister by the coolant bottle had rubbed through,
    ^^This is common ^^

3rd Gear

Status
    Sure is, a split pipe from the carbon canister was the cause of my fuel smell too.
    Audi S3 - 2002MY - Denim Blue

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Sure is, a split pipe from the carbon canister was the cause of my fuel smell too.
    anyone know what the triangle shape box is and what it does, which is connected to the carbon canister mine is in pieces lol and pipe split too

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by losing it. View Post
    anyone know what the triangle shape box is and what it does, which is connected to the carbon canister mine is in pieces lol and pipe split too
    If you mean the plastic bit where all the fuel lines are connecting near the brake fluid reservoir then its not a box as such more a bit of trim to locate all the fuel pipes for accessibility

There is a pipe (if its the one I think you mean) coming off the charcoal filter and connects to a pipe coming out of this 'triangle'... this is the tank vent.... mine split and I replaced it with 6mm silicon vac hose

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Neutral

Status
    yea mate that's the one. I managed to cut both ends off that pipe and its still usable just a pig to put back on i had to heat the pipe up with a lighter away from the car.
    Thanks for the info man.

Noggies ruuuule!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vfr800 View Post
    Check the PCV tubes, rocker cover breather, crank breather, I had a petrol smell when one of my breathers was split, didn't find it was split until I had pulled all the tubes out.
    +1 I had this and the smell would only come in when stationary in traffic - split breather pipe.