A few problems, Help please

dgannon69

Reaction score
good day, i've recently noticed that my alarm siren isnt working. its a standard 99 A3 with the original alarm. i'[m just wondering if anyone can tell me the possible problem and how to fix it... i'm guessing the sirencould be nackered.

I've also just had the rear axle replaced and got the geometry set up done at the same time by audi. I can't really understand what the figures all mean and was wondering that if i scanned it and sent it to someone they could help me understand it?

I've noticed that my normal audi concert radio is becoming crackley, like it's losing signal... i thought that the signal and sound would be pretty crisp and clear from these stereos...

Any fews on the above points would be much appreciated. thanks in advance

Regards
Dave

Problems with the alarm are common enough, when you say it doesn't work what do you mean?
How have you tested it?
Didn't realise A3T's had a rear axle, are you sure the dealer isn't up to their old tricks?
The Audi HU's are abysmal and frought with problems, is it just the radio that's crackly (AM or FM or both)?

2WD A3T's have a trailing torsion beam arrangement (along with 99% of fwd cars), could be that. I can't imagine why you'd change the whole thing though!

[ QUOTE ]
The Audi HU's are abysmal and frought with problems, is it just the radio that's crackly (AM or FM or both)?

[/ QUOTE ]
Also... Does the crackling come from all the speakers or is it localised (if it still has standard speakers; they're pants and made of love) - Is the crackling still present when playing a casette/CD?

Regards,

Rob.

Hey guys,

Andymac,Timbo and Factionone
- yes the alarm does actually work because i left a window down and then waved infront of the sensors until the hazards started flashing. There was just no horn/siren sound.

-yes i'm sure its the axle, it says so on the invoice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif fortunatly this was mostly paid for under warranty by the place i bought it from to start with

-The radio is just crap. if i play a CD then the quality is fine although its not very loud until it becomes distort, but thats just standard speakers i think. I thought the crackling may have been because the reception these stereos pick up is just poor generally...

Cheers Guys
Dave

I wouldn't worry about the alarm, it's the most pathetic thing I've ever heard, sounds like a clock radio.
Sounds like the antenna amp is faulty, it's built into the head unit on later models (was located in the base of the beesting in early models). As a quick fix you could try using an aftermarket active aerial amp. They're only about £14 or it could be the feed from the aerial, maybe a bad connection somewhere, but that's a horrible job to track down.