1.8T Turn over but not firing

Jboy

Reaction score
Hi all, my 1.8T started misfiring and spluttering yesterday. It then cut out soon after and wouldn't start at all that night. Next day I got it started and drove 30 miles fine before it started spluttering and inevitably cutting out again. Now, it wont start at all. It will turn over and occasionally fire.

My first thought was fuel related so I took off the fuel pipes from the rail, fuels pumping round fine. However there is strange sound coming from the rail or just below it. A constant ticking and clicking and some sort of whirring from the pressure regulator on the side of the rail. Very odd, and not usual. Could the system be drawing air in from somewhere? I wondered about the crank sensor, but it does try to fire every now and again. Anyone have any experience with this?

Is the fuel pump a diaphragm pump and does anyone know where the fuel filter is?

Thanks,
Jim

Coil packs?

Get it scanned with a fault code reader for a better idea/

I will do at the weekend if I haven't fixed it by then.

Ideally I need the car on the road tomorrow, but I'm working all day. I can order any parts that I need and have a late night on it tonight and tomorrow, but Sat is a no go. Surely someone must be able to help diagnose this without having to use the diagnostic?

Tonight, I'm going to check the pump relay just to be safe and make sure the pump is getting full current. Will replace the fuel filter as well and check the rest of the fuel lines. It seems like it's air is getting in somewhere and the pump cant build the required pressure up. Does anyone know the max reg pressure on these engines?

Car is an 1997 Audi A3 1.8T with 165k on the clock.

Thanks,

Sounds similar to the problem my mate had with his TT, turned out to be a coil pack. It however felt like it was running on 3 cylinders all the time rather than after 30 miles of driving but yours could of just been on it's way and now it's dead. If you've got a friend with a 1.8T you can swap their working coil packs for yours to determine if that's the problem and which coil pack(s) is dead.

Where are you from bud?

if its agu engine code try the module on the back of the air filter box

^^^^^ is the correct answer, I have a spare if you want it dude :)

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Ok I've managed to get it started, but not easily. It takes a fair bit of cranking and the throttle has to be right down. Once started it runs sweet enough but it won't idle what so ever, stalling every time. Also it pops quite a lot from the exhaust. Slightly random and probably not important but the speedometer needle started going everywhere just before this started.

The engine is an AGU, what's the module behind the air filter?
I'm in Cheshire.

Also interested in this as i bought an A3 (AGU) which had suffered a block strainer and low pressure
Replaced strainer, checked cam caps an bottom end through sump and all looks ok ans spins over freely but wont fire
Fault code 00515 is cominfg back with cam position sensor, going to check timing but intregued by this module behind the airbox

I had an AGU and the speedo went a bit psycho ... jumping all over the place.

I found the earth wire next to the coil packs was NOT bolted to the rocker cover. I reattached it and it worked fine after that.