Bass speaker

gary-dw

Reaction score
Hey all. Was cleaning my a3 yesterday and pulling out the rear boot trim revealed a speaker that looked like a sub box. Well it doesn't seam to work. Does any body no of any common faults with these or could it be simple enough as a fuse?

Any joy, my wife's is the same. You will find that the back speakers don't work either

Chances are its not connected at the HU. Many owners go with an aftermarket HU then forget to reconnect everything when they revert back to the Audi HU to sell the vehicle. Or they've just not bothered to wire up the rear/sub amp when they have added a different HU. Really depends what HU you have and whether the sub has stopped working or has never worked. Also whether the system is Bose or non Bose. Bose has two 4" drivers in the sub. Non Bose has a single 6.5" driver.

Last edited:
Well the amp sub seems to get power. Does any one have wire diag of what the wires into sub are . Opened up the sub, the speaker has 2 sets of power and earth going to it. Never seen before on speakers. Is their any reason for that.

do your self a favour and leave it disconnected lol,they are rubbish,speak to AndyMac above and buy one of his sub/amp kits best thing I ever did!

Andymac have you got a link to your subs? Also I read a thread on hear about cutting a wire to allow full control of the sound system but can't find it again. Could you link that to please mate

how easy are andys sub/amps to install (bearing in mind i hate and am pretty awful at anything other than basic electrics) i need to look at replacing mine

Im just going with a little repair me thinks. wife is happy enough with just the fronts, but it bugs me it not all working :doctor:

Cutting the earth wire going to the Bose pin on the back of the HU will put the HU back into normal "smiley face" EQ mode rather than the dreary flat Bose EQ, this will free up the Bass & Treble so that they actually work properly - but it only works if you have the Bose system!
Non Bose systems already use the normal smiley face EQ

I have this same problem mate its the kind of relay on the pants amp that isn't initiating when u turn the stereo on with a swift punch the relay switches on and the speakers boom into life I've tried resoldering the amp itself but no joy! It's usually caused by constant hot and cold cracking the solder and making a poor connection! In hot weather mine works fine it's stupid! Drives me mad I can be listening sometimes and then booooom the whole stereo kicks in scares the crap out of me!