Quick Xenon Headlight Question

S3 Tim

BAM!
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've just had my headlights fixed because dipped beam were constantly pointing at the floor and my garage found out the clips were broken so fitted these new ones from Sparksandnoise:

Audi A3/S3 VW polo headlight self levelling clips / sockets / brackets | eBay

$(KGrHqRHJEkFBb(!olR1BQ,+jZhll!~~60_1.JPG

When I turn them on, they don't go up and down as my friends do on his BMW and I thought I'd read on here somewhere that they should do that when they're turned on as it adjusts the self levelling system?

They didn't before but I assumed that was because the clip was broken.

Thanks,

Tim

They do self adjust, but not as dramatically as a lot of more modern cars. My wife's 2012 A3 Sportback does quite a dramatic up and down movement when the headlights are switched on.

Its more of a crawl on the S3, at least it is on mine anyway! They probably move up about an inch on a wall opposite when first turned on.

Did the garage reset the 'home' position on the lights? You need VCDS or a similar system to do it.

The dipped beam seem to be fine now, but the main beam is too high and there is a gap in between!

Can this be adjusted?

IMG_0288_zps6d55eed6.jpg

IMG_0292_zps3587edb6.jpg

They should adjust relative to the dipped beam, and don't think they can be independently adjusted?

Is the bulb seated properly?

Seems to be yes... Spoke to the garage again and they said it will have to be adjusted back down then the dipped brought back up with the computer or something?

The level adjuster moves both the high and low beam, there is no way as far as i know to adjust the high beam seperate to low beam. Its possibly a bulb not seated properly.

It is possible that its a bulb incorrectly seated putting the main beam too high but ... I have a headlight that does the same thing.

The projector (dipped) and the reflector (main) cannot be adjusted with respect to each other. The only option option for adjustment is to slacken off the three self locking nuts that hold the projector in place and try to adjust it. But in my experience there isn't much movement or slack.

i have a feeling this should have been done in the factory when the units are built. I don't know how or why the lights go out of alignment like this but it's annoying.

I have bent a tab on the H7 bulb in my offending headlight to bring the beam down a bit, but I'm going to replace the whole unit.

Liam

Hi Guys
is it just me or are the lights throwing more light to the right rather than the left?