EM TuningVolks Autos
    BAM!

Status

Quick Xenon Headlight Question

Hi guys,

I've just had my headlights fixed because dipped beam were constantly pointing at the floor and my garage found out the clips were broken so fitted these new ones from Sparksandnoise:

Audi A3/S3 VW polo headlight self levelling clips / sockets / brackets | eBay

When I turn them on, they don't go up and down as my friends do on his BMW and I thought I'd read on here somewhere that they should do that when they're turned on as it adjusts the self levelling system?

They didn't before but I assumed that was because the clip was broken.

Thanks,

Tim

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    They do self adjust, but not as dramatically as a lot of more modern cars. My wife's 2012 A3 Sportback does quite a dramatic up and down movement when the headlights are switched on.

Its more of a crawl on the S3, at least it is on mine anyway! They probably move up about an inch on a wall opposite when first turned on.

Did the garage reset the 'home' position on the lights? You need VCDS or a similar system to do it.
    Audi S3 - 2002MY - Denim Blue

BAM!

Status
    The dipped beam seem to be fine now, but the main beam is too high and there is a gap in between!

Can this be adjusted?

3rd Gear

Status
    They should adjust relative to the dipped beam, and don't think they can be independently adjusted?

Is the bulb seated properly?
    Audi S3 - 2002MY - Denim Blue

BAM!

Status
    Seems to be yes... Spoke to the garage again and they said it will have to be adjusted back down then the dipped brought back up with the computer or something?

6th Gear

Status
    The level adjuster moves both the high and low beam, there is no way as far as i know to adjust the high beam seperate to low beam. Its possibly a bulb not seated properly.
    '02 TDi 130 Sport: Mods to date: BXP 160 conversion, EGR delete, Decat, Helix SMF fast road clutch, 312mm front rotors, full DIS , CC, Xenons.
    VCDS fully registered and happy to help.
    *Need a Spare Key or Remote? SKC retrieval? Clock/ECU swap or milage correction? I am fully insured to work on your vehicle! Offering a good deal and quality service to ASN members Nationwide!*

4th Gear

Status
    It is possible that its a bulb incorrectly seated putting the main beam too high but ... I have a headlight that does the same thing.

The projector (dipped) and the reflector (main) cannot be adjusted with respect to each other. The only option option for adjustment is to slacken off the three self locking nuts that hold the projector in place and try to adjust it. But in my experience there isn't much movement or slack.

i have a feeling this should have been done in the factory when the units are built. I don't know how or why the lights go out of alignment like this but it's annoying.

I have bent a tab on the H7 bulb in my offending headlight to bring the beam down a bit, but I'm going to replace the whole unit.

Liam

S3 AMK 2002. Only 203 BHP left in my poor little engine, currently searching for the 7 missing horses.
    Mods: Powerflex bushes at the front and rear, 710P DV, ambient light module, Badger5 V3 TIP, S2000 Filter.

2nd Gear

Status
    Hi Guys
    is it just me or are the lights throwing more light to the right rather than the left?