Thinking of swapping out my helix single mass for OEM duel mass

@udi A3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Website
www.immotec.co.uk
Im getting sick and tired of going into a garage to have silly stuff done, tires changed etc, and having the whole workshop stand and leering at my car cos it sounds like a tractor! Ive covered 25k miles on it roughly, has a fast road plate, quite heavy but easy to get used to. No slipping or juddering at all so expect the friction plate to be in good usable condition.

Would anyone be interested in a straight swap, for new stock DMF and clutch? The catch is i dont want to pay the labour, considering I paid just over £1k including fitting last time around!

I didnt want to put a classified up as i have no intention of laying out for a new clutch unless this one actually fails.

**** them, what point of stepping backwards, also if you get someone to swap you
may end up with a duff clutch/flywheel.

Haha Sod them!!

I've got a Helix SMF with the ceramettalic plate and i love the chattering. Nowt better than some grease monkey tyre fitter asking if i know it sounds fubarred. Haha

My car has a stupidly light flywheel on too so sounds like a tractor at times but aslong as its not doing any harm i'm not gonna replace it for a standard one. I just look at it as it may sometimes sound like a diesel but the noise goes when you put the clutch in and when i'm driving it doesn't bother me.
**** the people in the garage they probably just jealous anyway or just thick and dont know what it is.

Still, not amusing when the local place doesnt even want to listen for a noisy wheel/beering/tyre that i cant find the root of because 'i wont hear anything over that racket, come back when you know what the problem is/wheel falls off'.

press the clutch pedal then to make it quiet OR are you saying its noisy even when driving, in which case its not single mass issue but something else. They only rattle on tick over in neutral normally, press clutch its quiet as it driving

Hi badger, sorry, this thread was to see if anyone was willing to do a swap, the problem is not clutch related.
As you asked though, sounds like a whoomp...whoomp...whooomp...whooomp.... as i go round a left hand sweeping bend, sounds from the driver front wheel. However it is quiet, and doesnt sound like a wheelbearing (driven several cars with bad bearings and some mech background). Doesnt happen all the time or i just dont notice it all the time, but other half can hear it in passenger seat. Needs to be driving maybe 40-50 mph. maybe a slight vibration with the sound but hard to tell. no difference under load or braking that i can tell.
Only thing i have done recently was have front to back tyre swaps, fronts are now the best tread, and a puncture repair on the rear, im using the spare now. Only thing left to try is swapping the spare back off incase the noise is actually from the rear, maybe out of shape tyre, although i didnt notice anything when fitting. Ive swapped the front tyres left to right and the noise is the same. ill swap the rears tomorow i think.

My point is the local garage/tyre fitter wouldnt even take the car for a drive to give a second opinion due to it being noisy!! I cant hear any rumbling when spinning the wheel by hand and no noticable play other than a little in the rack.

MOT is due in 3 weeks (well 7, but ill do it asap) , might end up seeing if they fail it on anything.

Yeah I know the clutch chatters, helix have a disclaimer on there website along the lines of if you can't put up with the noise dont modify your car!

It was convenient for me when i collected the clutch ans smf from mardi grass, and about £500 cheaper than the southbend offering. I didnt order through helix direct as there prices were ludicrous!

Today the noise is still there, didnt get time to swap tyres over. I have a new problem!