Volks AutosSky Insurance
    Reverse Gear

Status

More thermostat grief

So after replacing my stuck open thermostat at the weekend it appears the new one i put is now stuck shut!!!!

Car overheated today, bottom radiator hose (one coming from thermosat housing) stone cold. I suppose that will teach me for not testing it first.

My question is about the diagnostic display that you can bring up on the air con unit. I was monitoring channel 51, Engine coolant temperature. This started at ambient and steeadily rose to 90 degrees as you would expect. The instrument display lagged behind but caught up and levelled out at 90 for a good 20 mins of normal driving. Then the instrunment display started to rise until the high temp alarm came on. The air con display did not budge from 90 degrees which i found rather strange.

Pretty sure the water pump is ok as can see water returning to the expansion tank and if i put my blowers on max it holds teh temp down a little bit.

I guess I'm replacing the thermostat again tomorrow (after throughly testng the second new one).

Does anyone know about the air con diagnoses readings and why they will not go above 90 degrees. I thought that this would monitor the temp sensor that feeds the instrument display.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status
    Just to re-inforce the water pump is working, with the old thermostat the temp gauge rarely budged off the 60 degrees mark unless at a stand still.

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    How did you ensure it was bled correctly?

Reverse Gear

Status
    I am having the exact same problem - my thread is a few down from this A3 1997 Temp issue

New temp sensor and thermostat fitted, old thermostat I took out was tested and fully working,

How do you fully bleed the system?

Reverse Gear

Status
    the thermostat i took out was seized open. i couldnt budge it. I let the car get up to temp with the tank cap off. Surly with a car like this that is enough?

Im going to change again tomorrow and test the one thats in there now and test a new one im picking up before changing. then I'll see how it is. the bottom hose was stone cold, aboslutely no heat in it. Is there a specific bleeding process. I did research it but couldnt find anything other than what i did.

Reverse Gear

Status
    i thought that the 51 code was engine temperature? I know on my tt (bam engine) its 49 for engine coolant temperature

Rrrrrrrr-tech

Status
    When was your temp sensor last changed?
    > S3 225 (03) - OEM+
    > 205 GTI (90) - Limited Edition Miami Blue with full leather - 1 of only 300 made
    > Clio v6 255 (05) - Lethal Weapon

View: My S3 diary

1st Gear

Status
    Did you use a genuine thermostat? These engines are normally pretty good at self bleeding as long as the return pipes are not blocked at all
    2002 s3 silver, BAM, lcr Brembos ds2500 pads, Braided hoses, forge 008 dv, stack boost gauge, power flex dog bone bush/wishbone bushes, forge boost hoses, B5 tip, B5 remap, toyo fmic

1st Gear

Status
    Also when the thermostat is out you can feel the back of the water pump with your fingers to see if the impeller is intack and still connected to the pump
    2002 s3 silver, BAM, lcr Brembos ds2500 pads, Braided hoses, forge 008 dv, stack boost gauge, power flex dog bone bush/wishbone bushes, forge boost hoses, B5 tip, B5 remap, toyo fmic

3rd Gear

Status
    you sure you put it in the right way? i done mine afew weeks ago, simple job, pain in the shooter as its behine the altinater though

Whoever does not try, does not learn.

Status
    Ensure the thermostat is the correct way around, and to the "burp" the car, leave the expansion tank open with air condition on full, rev the car a few times too. This will ensure that any trapped air is removed.
    Audi S3 (52) 265bhp Revo Stage 1

Reverse Gear

Status
    I have done plenty of thermostats so i am offended with the right way round comments.......Oh wait a minute. Egg on my face. Took it apart today a noticed straight away....**** thats it back to front. Why the f8ck would i do that. I put it down to tiredness and the freezing cold weather.

thanks for replies guys much appreciated.

seanseansean I would suggest you check yours is round the right way to save you the embarrasment i feel know

Reverse Gear

Status
    Cerbera4_0

I have fitted mine the same way I took the old one out,

Does the longer end with the spring sit in the engine or in the plastic pipe?

2nd Gear

Status
    Had a similar problem myself, i could feel the water bubbling in the hose beside the airbox, ended up being the water pump had failed.