double wishbone set up on an s3?

future

Scuderia Vittoria Edition 001
Reaction score
Bit of a long shot with this but just playing with ideas at the moment. My s3 is slowly going to evolve into a track car and I have always worked with double wishbone set ups with race cars, with the benefits on track being very noticeable.

I was just going to see if anyone had done this or knows of a conversion kit?
Also what does everyone think of the idea? too much work for the pay off? Thinking this may be something for the likes of prawn as well?

All input appreciated :)

It's not going to work on an S3, it will require major fabrication of the front suspension to make it double wishbone, which would not be worth it in my opinion.

It's not going to work on an S3, it will require major fabrication of the front suspension to make it double wishbone, which would not be worth it in my opinion.

i did think the fabrication would be unreal, but from a few contacts i can get it done with no outrageous costs luckily :) also i believe the a4's used a setup like this as far back as b5 shape? can anyone confirm this?

cheers
tom

Even with custom fabs i cant see how itd work, theirs just no way itd work. 

A4's have a multi link setup yes, but I see no easy way to transplant it into an 8L chassis.

Wide track your A3 and make do, Prawny seems to have had great success in making his handle( most of the time)

Tho, if you have nothing but time on your hands and the machining and fab is free/cheap, i guess it could be done. It's the development and setting up costs after that would kill a project like this imho

I'd say rather than trying to graft a B5/B6 etc setup onto an 8L, you would be far better off just lopping the front end off from bulkhead forward and building a tubular front end. All suspension geometry can be designed/accommodated for then without issues/compromise.

thanks for the input everyone :) i will see how much time i have over the summer to play with. Wanted to avoid space framing if i could, but we will see!

tom