Chris NottVolks Autos
    1st Gear

Status

Help from someone with knowledge on the bose sound system please

I took my bose sub out today of my s3 8l to see if it had a cracked case as it was blowing. i cant fined any part numbers on the sub, as i need to get another one off ebay but i am not sure if they are all the same for the 8l?

Also i have another question, i found the bose amplifire in the boot and on its wireing loom was another connecting plug that had been added. can anyone tell me what this connection is for please

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    That connector has been added, it is not original. Looks like someone has tapped into the Bose loom in order to pick up the feeds to the cabin speakers, probably when they added an aftermarket HU.
    All 8L Bose subs are identical the part number is 8LO 035 381H. However there are some on eBay that say they are Bose when they aren't.
    What's wrong with the sub? I have all the parts to repair one if its just one particular bit.
    Complete working Bose subs are about £60-£70 delivered so don't pay anymore than that
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status

Help from someone with knowledge on the bose sound system please

I was just about to post recommending the OP towards you Andy but you've beaten me to it
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMac View Post
    That connector has been added, it is not original. Looks like someone has tapped into the Bose loom in order to pick up the feeds to the cabin speakers, probably when they added an aftermarket HU.
    All 8L Bose subs are identical the part number is 8LO 035 381H. However there are some on eBay that say they are Bose when they aren't.
    What's wrong with the sub? I have all the parts to repair one if its just one particular bit.
    Complete working Bose subs are about £60-£70 delivered so don't pay anymore than that
    Hi andy,
    I did a topic a few months back asking if i could fit my head unit in. Does this mean that the hard work is done and all i need to do is connect onto this conection? Well both the small sub speakers are makeing a massive blowing noise so i guess they are dead.

Status
    No unfortunately not. Depends what else they've done. You can't drive the Bose speakers directly off a HU as they will fry the internal amp. You'd need to check if the cabin speakers are Bose or aftermarket. If they are aftermarket then you can link the new HU into that spare connector. But you'll still have to run 4 new speaker cables from the HU back to that connector

If the drivers in the sub are flapping they will either be blown or it could be the enclosure isn't sealing properly. If one of the screws that hold the front panel on isn't tight enough it will allow the drivers to over extend which will sound pretty bad. Worth checking first
    Alex Turner

1st Gear

Status
    No unfortunately not. Depends what else they've done. You can't drive the Bose speakers directly off a HU as they will fry the internal amp. You'd need to check if the cabin speakers are Bose or aftermarket. If they are aftermarket then you can link the new HU into that spare connector. But you'll still have to run 4 new speaker cables from the HU back to that connector

If the drivers in the sub are flapping they will either be blown or it could be the enclosure isn't sealing properly. If one of the screws that hold the front panel on isn't tight enough it will allow the drivers to over extend which will sound pretty bad. Worth checking first
    Someone has cut a larg hole in the sub box, so there wont be a air tight seal in the box. I did not know that if it is not a air tight seal on the back of the sub speakers that they would then blow? learn something new everyday. Do you think then this would have damaged the speakers?

Status
    Probably. Depends. If the subs have been driven with no back pressure behind them then the cones would be allowed to extend too far which will damage the voice coils. If you push down on the cone evenly you should feel resistance and the cone should move in smoothly. If it feels crunchy or baggy then they are blown. I can send you a replacement enclosure for the price of the postage
    Alex Turner

1st Gear

Status
    If you need the BOSE bits drop me a PM as I have the lot for sale very cheap
    MK1 Leon Cupra R: K04 Hybrid / AEM WMI / Wellycooler / Mocal Oil Cooler / Superpro Polybushed / Vibratech Mounts / KW V3's / Factory Recaros / 330bhp...

1st Gear

Status
    Probably. Depends. If you push down on the cone evenly you should feel resistance and the cone should move in smoothly. If it feels crunchy or baggy then they are blown. I can send you a replacement enclosure for the price of the postage
    The sub speakers are in the garage at the moment so i will check them out tomorrow morning. Thats a very nice offer thanks i may take you up on that