Stem seals have gone

s3gazz

Reaction score
Well done 1000 mile and what seems to be stem seals are poor.

After a run or put ya foot down run I park up on tick over and clouds of smoke covers the road great white smoke tint of blue then set off and it goes only to come back another time.

Head off and have to get it re done by someone and a new turbo Beachbuggy turbo

What do you mean by poor, when I did the head I put in brand new seals from audi.

never had any problem with other heads I've done?

Normally smoking from cold is oil seals but you said it white smoke with a hint of blue sound to me more like a water leak?

I take it you want to send the head else where? i will do it for free and its still under warranty

Last edited:
Gazz how do you know its the seals, cluld be gasket, rings or turbo seals, if theirs white smoke then itd indicate heads gone as well?

As weaty said, bit of a **** take trying to publicy humilate andrew when he did your head and at end the day like ive already said how do you know its the head?

Did not mean to upset or offend anyone just been told about it coolant level does not move either so no water leak I don't really post on here no more coz of all the **** and sarky comments also not the best at wording things sox Andrew.

Not poor as in your building efforts or owt andrew just if it is seal then there poor Audi seals the car is running fine at the min apart from that smoking now and then, did not want to sound cheeky and put ill be sending back to Andrew when he did not no about it .

Reactions: Vex182
TBH I'd say it's the CR turbo over Andrews work anyday. His work is second to none and he doesn't skimp on parts. If you have an issue with it, while it's off send it to Andrew to check by all means, but i'd bet it's as good as it was when he did it.

Ye I've seen a lot of Andrew work and I no how good it is pal just isn't two people said stem seals so makes u think my bad anyhow

New rings and gaps set the same all around as told by about 6 people so just don't no why it would be that would this damage owt

going to be a difficult one to diagnose.
just keep an eye on things mate and see how it manifests, or doesnt. you need more tell tale signs of certain things going wrong really. as bad as that sounds. you'l just end up opening things up and will be hard to find

if your gonna strip it id send the head to andrew and ask him to check it out, id also send the turbo to beachbuggy (Dan) and ask him to health check it, if both come back with a no faults found then id think rings, that imho is the best way to go from here

You may have a stuck ring? I wasn't there when you did them.

Did you use oil on the rings or assembly lube?

You also had new guides fitted to that head

New rings and gaps set the same all around as told by about 6 people so just don't no why it would be that would this damage owt
who fitted the rings

Other thing to check if its turbo or engine based smoking on idle..
undo oil feed at filter housing, and blank it off. remove tip and hold turbo shaft CAREFULLY with some pliars to stop it rotating
start engine, and see if oil fume contiues out of exhaust..... DONT allow the turbo to spin whilst its got no oil feed.
IF the oil smoke goes away, its points to turbo being the source. If it does'nt it points to the engine.

I presume the smoke you describe smells of oil...?

Reactions: Westy
So is the head off now or are you just saying its the seals

How can you be sure its the steam seals if the head is still on the block?

Only taking the head off will reveal the problem

Have you taken the plugs out and look at the pistons? has the rings been bed in?

going to be a difficult one to diagnose.
just keep an eye on things mate and see how it manifests, or doesnt. you need more tell tale signs of certain things going wrong really. as bad as that sounds. you'l just end up opening things up and will be hard to find

Thanks pal ye ill have to do that although I'm taking head off and doing my turbo again so ill have a look at the head then mate

I'm going to do a snif and see if they find any gases in the coolant that will eliminate the rings for, ring where ryt way defo followed the fitting guide.

what happens is
when I put foot down and then park up on overrun it smokes bad the if I set off and park somewhere else the smoke goes and if I floor it again another day I carnt seem to get it to happen as I tried to show s3dave today but he's said bit off black smoke where floor it on boost witch is rich and blue smoke now and then when set off also now oil in throttle body what so ever so not that

So is the head off now or are you just saying its the seals

How can you be sure its the steam seals if the head is still on the block?

Only taking the head off will reveal the problem

Have you taken the plugs out and look at the pistons? has the rings been bed in?

not took plugs out to look at pistons no Andrew but will head is still on at the min till I got funds to get dan to sort my turbo out and do his new special he's testing at min.

just got told stem seals Andrew.

who fitted the rings

Other thing to check if its turbo or engine based smoking on idle..
undo oil feed at filter housing, and blank it off. remove tip and hold turbo shaft CAREFULLY with some pliars to stop it rotating
start engine, and see if oil fume contiues out of exhaust..... DONT allow the turbo to spin whilst its got no oil feed.
IF the oil smoke goes away, its points to turbo being the source. If it does'nt it points to the engine.

I presume the smoke you describe smells of oil...?

smoke smell of oil yes bill but it don't smoke all time just now and then once a week or not at all its occasional really but does happen after I've put my foot down also no smoke apart from condensation in a morning then nowt.

smoke smell of oil yes bill but it don't smoke all time just now and then once a week or not at all its occasional really but does happen after I've put my foot down also no smoke apart from condensation in a morning then nowt.
Gaz you said the turbo had lots of in out play . It would give the same issue as a stem seal. Oil blow past the seal

I'm going to do a snif and see if they find any gases in the coolant that will eliminate the rings for, ring where ryt way defo followed the fitting guide.

what happens is
when I put foot down and then park up on overrun it smokes bad the if I set off and park somewhere else the smoke goes and if I floor it again another day I carnt seem to get it to happen as I tried to show s3dave today but he's said bit off black smoke where floor it on boost witch is rich and blue smoke now and then when set off also now oil in throttle body what so ever so not that

Sniff test won't eliminate rings, that's for gasket/ crack testing.

Turbo's with play can feed the oil directly into the hotside of the turbo allowing the heat to burn the excess oil off as you describe. Oil generally only makes the TB when the breather system is fecked or the turbo is pretty much hanging off.

My money is still on play in the turbo, especially given I have seen CR are using the incorrect repair kit with the uprated bearings, causing premature wear and oil burning, Beach buggy showed me and it was quite scary how bad a fit the parts were

No oil in the pipes Andrew and dan posted above throttle body is bone dry of oil charge pipe side the littlest of bits but that normal.

play in turbo dan is about 1mm not that bad or is it

No oil in the pipes Andrew and dan posted above throttle body is bone dry of oil charge pipe side the littlest of bits but that normal.

play in turbo dan is about 1mm not that bad or is it

If the turbo play is in and out, it's not normal

Well done 1000 mile and what seems to be stem seals are poor.

After a run or put ya foot down run I park up on tick over and clouds of smoke covers the road great white smoke tint of blue then set off and it goes only to come back another time.

Head off and have to get it re done by someone and a new turbo Beachbuggy turbo

Have you run some basics to eliminate the head gasket as white smoke can only come from coolant burn. There are a few straight fwd tests to conduct and i suggest you eliminate them 1st. Oil will be 'dark' white coffee in colour / oil residue in header tank. Run a compression test and you are looking for continunity, with no major variance from cylinder to cylinder, around 20-30psi but check manufacturer specs.. During operation the oil pressure is far greater than the water pressure but you may find some water gathering around the spark plug ends when removed. All basic stuff but work your way through this 1st and rule it out.

Very much doubt its the valve stem seals. A simple job to replace them when the head is out and id put money on it not being your issue.

ITS THE TURBO!!!

CR turbo did sombody say? I had one on a citroen zx same thing, had to keep revs up when at junctions to stop the road being smoked out, i ended up fitting new stepped seals and cured it. Also a suggestion was to stuff a load of chicken wire down the exhuast to create a back pressure, it eased the smoke a little but didnt cure it!

If it was stem seals surely it would pool in the chanbers and smoke more on startup/foul plugs etc.

Wouldnt be taking the head off till the turbo is checked, and as said if the head does need work send it back for warranty!

ITS THE TURBO!!!

CR turbo did sombody say? I had one on a citroen zx same thing, had to keep revs up when at junctions to stop the road being smoked out, i ended up fitting new stepped seals and cured it. Also a suggestion was to stuff a load of chicken wire down the exhuast to create a back pressure, it eased the smoke a little but didnt cure it!

If it was stem seals surely it would pool in the chanbers and smoke more on startup/foul plugs etc.

Wouldnt be taking the head off till the turbo is checked, and as said if the head does need work send it back for warranty![/QUOTE

sounds like same issue as your Audi s3 thanks bud new turbo anyway so ill sort it some how ha

Head is coming off in a month or two so ill post owt up I think is the problem

I have blue smoke on idle that's developed over the last 1000 miles. Hoping it's a valve guide or seal. No smoking whilst driving just builds up on idle.
Seems to appear worse than it actually is, oil level has not dropped, still on max.
I will be building up a large port head over the next couple of months.

Just to clear this up gazz dropped off the head after a little accident

Image0482_zps9dc42e8d.jpg

Well the head was stripped and found that all seals are good sat in the right place, the back of all the valves and steams are dry and clean showing no sign of leaking seals from the stems

Looks like the smoke was bottom end related