Fuel Gauge Problems

jpeterman

Reaction score
On several occasions now, I've noticed my fuel gauge playing around. I'll start the car up, and it will read half full, then when I turn the engine off and start again, it's at virtually empty, and the computer is telling me to fill up. It's happened too often now for it just to be a one off quirk.
I've read one or two posts concerning dodgy eletrics, but I was wondering if anyone knew this was a common issue.
I've got a 51 plate S3.

It's quite common. You might find it just goes away (mine did after a couple of weeks), otherwise it's likely to need a new sensor in the fuel tank.

[ QUOTE ]
It's quite common. You might find it just goes away (mine did after a couple of weeks), otherwise it's likely to need a new sensor in the fuel tank.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah - mine went through a mad stage of doing it, but hasn't for quite some time now. Bide your time and see what happens. It's quite a common 'fault'.

Had mine replaced as it was a faulty sensor. Got out with 60miles left and got back in with 350miles in the tank that gradually went back to 60 over the next 10 miles! Very odd.