Screching noise still..

s3clarke

Money grabbing s3!
Reaction score
Hi guys,

changed my TIP today in the hope that the screeching/ supercharger type noise was coming from the split oil breather. since changing it its not the case as its still there.. does anybody know what would cause this? it happens under boost, sound pretty good, but its defiantly not helping things as it seems slower.. Cheers.

You should do/get a boost leak test/smoke test done

sounds like your turbo is goosed...under load and does the screech hold until you let off the throttle?

Yea mate, I've hot no smoke bellowing out as yet, and it pulls good aswel for a non mapped car, but it sounds as if a pipe is split kinda noise. I think the best thing as mentioned is a boost leak test. If not that, then will have to look at turbo etc.! I checked play in the turbo earlier, which was minimal.
The noise randomly just came, it hasn't been a slow recurring thing.. Puzzled?!

Cracked exhaust manifold or blown mani to turbo gasket.

My old A3 used to do it.

My car was squealing like a pig yesterday but not just on boost but all the time, turned out my inlet manifold was removing itself from my car without my permission! Put some new bolts in as a few had gone completely and tightened the others up and all was good again :)

I'm hoping its nothing to big as I have alot of work on anyway as it is. ****** cars hey! My stock car don't give me this much greif haha

what play did the turbo have in and out? if its good then a chipped blade on the exhaust side.

In and out I can't say as I tried just up and down side to side play. 1 blade has a bent bit I'll put a picture up, it's not big and would it cause such a noise?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362346544999242 ignore the oil, that was from the split oil breather ******* oil on the gearbox and turbo housing

yea it would as it disrupts are flow but its mainly on the ex hot side ive seen many times over and over..

does sound more thrust noise than blade i would check the play in and out again.

I'll check the play at another date then, and if I try and bend that bent bit of the blade back somewhere near how it should be and it continues to squeal, then I'll have to check other things.. Pain in the backside as I have a few things on at the moment.

Think im just going to bite the bullet and except the fact that my turbo needs a re-build. I have a week off the start of April so will take it off before then and send it away hopefully have it back by then so I can fit it back on in my spare time.

Last edited:
When I manually turn the fins I can make the kinked blade touch the housing, I recon if that's catching under boost then that's what the noise is..

That won't help, if its that bad that's a sure sign the turbo is well past its best bud