Turbo Inlet Flange Snapped Off!

s3dave

TFSI Hybrid
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.stainless-engineering.co.uk
Just replaced my turbo to mani gasket and just putting pipes back etc, when i noticed the B5 Tip was strangley floppy...

Took everything off to find this.....

Thanks Again CR ...They have bored the hole too .5mm!! no wonder it broke off

Luckily i have managed to secure the billet adapter to the remaining bit on the turbo with some fancy real steel paste stuff...and is solid...

I was lucky the turbo didnt ingest the lot.....:faint:

Reactions: AVLO
​Not good news Dave, but at least you have the knowledge and ability to fix these things. :) x

Sorry dave.. In order to get the 2283 wheel to fit the housing it has to be machine very thin, no way around it without making a bigger housing. Then likely hood is with the b5 the grub screw gets wound in too tight breaking through . I've seen it on mine. Also seen one completely deformed by jubilee clip done up too tight as well. I advise anyone buying these about the fact.. You where lucky though it didn't get ingested into the turbo.. Just as well the other turbo might be finished soon ;-)

Same thing happened to a lad on scn and im sure he has a cr turbo too. Bad times pal.

I'm sure I remember you saying you'd punctured the lip with the grub screw Dave?
Yes it did mate, there was no pressure at all and the screw just came through.. i know mine was super thin as i measured another hybrid and mine was 2mm larger internal..
As Dan says they do need to open them up but i think mine was far to thin....