ReMap Preparation

WorkInProgress

Reaction score
I'm hoping to get my car mapped within the next couple of months and currently in the process of working towards getting it ready as I don't want to arrive somewhere to be told it's not running properly, is leaking under boost etc and can't be mapped.

It's pretty much in standard guise at the moment, I've added 2.5" decat downpipe and 2.5" exhaust and S2000 filter.

My plans are to replace the boost hoses with Forge or similar silicon hoses, Forge TIP, clean the throttle body (a link on how to do this would be handy :icon_thumright:) good service with new plugs and doing the oil pickup pipe while I'm at it. Hoping someone friendly and near to me will assist in scanning for faults with VCDS and I'll also remedy any issues highlighted. I believe the car has had a recent MAF sensor before my ownership.

Anything else I should consider?

Long term I want to fit a K04-001 (if I can ever find one) as it's something different from a K03s and would see a good increase over my current K03. Might fit the much maligned Forge adjustable actuator. I really don't want to go for a FMIC though as it just looks like a lot of hassle but I know I will probably have to. I've been looking at some of the SMIC's available such as Eurojet and Tyrolsport but the reviews seem inconclusive as to whether or not they're worth it.

Going the K04-001 route I've been advised to upgrade to VR6 MAF housing, LCR/Calibra Turbo injectors and LCR fuel pump. I'm not sure how much power the K04-001 would make but would you agree I'd need to upgrade these items?

As always any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Rob

if not an issue now you might find afterwards your coil packs might play up, if you do replace you mayas well do the plugs to

Maybe a forge or revised OEM DV? Check all your boost hoses, maybe even get an intercooler? Or go for a black widow hybrid? ;) this is why I'm forbidden to buy parts, otherwise I'd end up with too many parts and no house to put them in :(

Cam belt and water pump. Plugs and full fluid service including gearbox. Go to VW for all parts, there suppriingly cheap.

As you have an AGU i wouldn't worry too much about coil packs, but something that made a big difference to mine was a new throttle cable from VW, as mine was stretched, and the TB wasn't opening properly.

To clean the AGU TB it's simple. Unclip the cable, unscrew 4 bolts and its off. Clean with carb cleaner and put back on. I'm sure you can't adapt the AGU TB through VCDS, so I was told to unhook the battery for an hour. Turn the ignition on so the dash lights go on, wait for a minute (you'll hear the TB click) then start the car and let idle for 5.

You can get VCDS lite for under £15. Get on ebay and get one of the blue cables, and install the drivers from the Ross-tech website.
You can clear codes and scan, and check the basics like the TB opening, all temps and Jarod's favorite air mass readings. I'm testing my S2k filter and then firge tip tomorrow for any gains in flow.

Can I ask for a link to what DP and exhaust you have? As I'm needed them soon

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the info, I'm planning on doing the TB but I'd been put off by the need to align or adapt it with VCDS / Vag-com, hopefully as you say with the AGU I don't need to.
My decat downpipe was one of the one piece eBay ones, good fit and seems decent quality, cost me about £75 new.
I got my exhaust made up by a local company, 2.5" single box system.

Rob

looks like the one i was looking at then. as for the DV, as already said go to vw and get new one. i changed from a brand new Forge 008 and it feels so much better.

im also pondering over a FMIC. but those pipes in the bumper just look silly.

I forgot! Also get a decent boost gauge!
apart from those very expensive American ones, the ones you get over here aren't worth it. I have seen a few graphs with inlet temps on, and believe rtech have commented on customer cars.
I stuck with the OE one. Cleared out all the gunk inside with hot water and white spirit, and vented the rear of the arch liner so hot air can actually disperse. Gave me a few degrees less on the intake temp on vag com, same ambient.

I forgot earlier, rip out all the carbon canister stuff and blank off the tip and TB. Also, rip out all the under manifold block breather and fit a catch can. Mine runs so much smoother now and the TB will stay clean. Just get one of the ebay cans

You can fit one without showing the pipes. I tried but my pipes still show, however I was never a fan before but I am now. Looks ace, but my pipes are black

apart from those very expensive American ones, the ones you get over here aren't worth it. I have seen a few graphs with inlet temps on, and believe rtech have commented on customer cars.
I stuck with the OE one. Cleared out all the gunk inside with hot water and white spirit, and vented the rear of the arch liner so hot air can actually disperse. Gave me a few degrees less on the intake temp on vag com, same ambient.

I spoke with R-Tech and they said a SMIC is a no no. The K04-001 is a straight fit, same as K03 & K03S and I doubt it'll make any more power than a K03S so I'm no sure I'll need a FMIC but I'll probably end up having to do it eventually. I think they look OK done properly but I fancied the SMIC for a more stealth look

I forgot earlier, rip out all the carbon canister stuff and blank off the tip and TB. Also, rip out all the under manifold block breather and fit a catch can. Mine runs so much smoother now and the TB will stay clean. Just get one of the ebay cans

This is very much on my list of things to do which seems to be getting longer and longer

K04-001 is an easy build. If you have a k03s its an easy conversion.. Especially if the k03s needs a rebuild anyway...

It may not make that much more power but will definitely increase performance..

Reactions: WorkInProgress
K04-001 is an easy build. If you have a k03s its an easy conversion.. Especially if the k03s needs a rebuild anyway...

It may not make that much more power but will definitely increase performance..

It's a K03 I've got so should be a decent hike in power. Just fancied the K04-001 as it's something different.

What's your views on SMIC vs FMIC for this turbo?