Problems people have had from their hybrid build...

S3 Paul

Reaction score
My car was fitted with a JBS05 a while back ( was the first ) and mapped by them to get the best from the set up... Which at the time was stock all bar forge tip and cat back Milltek exhaust.
since then I've used the car daily and for a year or so all was well. The I decided I wanted slightly more ... So a 3 inch down pipe and decat went on... This ( dispite being told it wouldn't need remapping ) resulted in over 2.5 bar of boost. Not ideal to say the least...
so I had it back in to get the problem sorted,
another year passed and I noticed a small puff of blue smoke from time to time... So I decided it was time to update the engine and replace the turbo.
again car ran fine... Until I went to a rolling road day and made 235 bhp, after a bit of logging it turned out the fuel pump was sagging as it was being asked to work with a 4bar fpr... Not ideal especially when it's the original item...
for now I fitted a new pump and all is well again ( well after I cleaned the injectors)
these are all things we know now... But I didn't as it was long before you lot started to steam past me on the hybrid path.
so my problems are now... If I want more i need to look to a new manifold , injectors and a B5 tip.
then a custom map.
my car is trying to be both a daily and a bit of fun...
What other problems have had to be over come to gain power and reliability ?....

fuel pumps wear. not a hybrid issue a car issue surely
4bar fpr instead of larger injectors, dubious advise from tuner @ the time
not fitting rods.... Risks which we all know well about
less than ideal mapping allowing such boost spikes from the beginning

and you still sit on the fence describing your issues once again.......... and have'nt appeared to have done Anything about them for literally years now.

Bill.
its your attitude on matters like this that **** me right off and stop me asking for help and a map.
this was back when you took your car to JBS if I remember right?
plenty of people run hybrids with stock engines.
i did and had no problems.
Currently at the power level I'm at Fueling is holding up. So the fence sitting you talk about is based on my not running over to you for a map and some injectors?
i will change the injectors and remap the car if and when I decide to push for more power.

Paul I can see where Bill's coming from. There's only so many time ASN members can advise someone who keeps asking the same question. You have asked this type of question quite a few times now and the advise is always the same. You need bigger injectors and a custom remap.

I use my car as a daily and a bit of fun (few track days) and the only unreliability I've had has been from a 8+ year old battery and my coil pack wiring. But saying that I did buy a lot of new components when I did my engine build.

My point on this was... I've run my car for ... 4+ years as it is... Al be in now forged rods.
fuel pump problem... Yes they wear, but when run at 4 bar they surely wil fail faster? Or fail to perform as needed.
Back when I did my car very little was posted regarding the hybrid set ups...
Everytime I've asked about my car I've had something that is currently on the car running tired... So as it was fine when mapped I replaced said part and its back how it's always been.
i run with an AFR gauge fitted now and ... Use the car more off boost than on it. Hence why I have been reluctant to spend what will be over £1200 to go the next step. Yes I'm collecting parts slowly. But if it gets mapped again it will be with all the bells and whistles. Not just injectors,
some people run hybrids for a short term but upgrade to BT before any long term issues come out to play.
Sorry I should clearly stop posting anything until I rob a bank and do a one stop job on the car.

So what's your actual point?! What are you trying to achieve?

Nobody expects anyone to go and build an engine and get I mapped all in one go. Just look how long Tuffty's build is taking. It's little bits at a time.

You know what parts to start collecting to make the most of your car.

From Observing, the biggest problems are inconsistent turbos (CR), and ludacris claims by manufacturers.
I think its important to know exactly what your hybrid is, because there is many versions, hybrid is such a loose term. And its important one knows exactly whats capable from what they have.

Erm... I must have wrote in some strange way....
What issues are they with running a hybrid turbo on an otherwise standard car... What will show signs of failure,
ive had... Pump. Issues with down pipe swap, forge DV leaking boost. But all after time. Quite a bit of it too.

not everybody is as well read as some.
I was never told 4bar fpr was a bad idea... A few tuners still do it. But now... After time and testing some have shown it will kill a old pump or bail out when under higher boost situations.
i know you all love e badger... But I was told years back what I was doing with my golf wouldn't even run by the tuner everybody loved... It did and still does make good power for the cost...
i give up to be honest here

Sloghtly off topic but where did you get your fuel pump from? Wheres the best place and cheapest?

Tbh mate their isnt much really, you have rods fitted which is the main issue, apart from that its just the usual wear and tear and tuned car would suffer from.

Is that what you were meaning?

i know you all love e badger...

Funny that, as I have an RTech map :think:

A 4 bar FPR will strain the pump as its designed for 3 bar simple. Those guys running the real big injectors have to run an inline pump to help out the stock one in the tank but they keep on 3 bar FPR.

Only other thing that seems to be a real issue with the hybrid builds is the actual turbo never producing what the manufacturers say they will.

So the fence sitting you talk about is based on my not running over to you for a map and some injectors?

Nope, Hardly - lol You Presume I would even want to map your car. Answer=no so that is Clear.

The problem I have with You. is the continual same/similar type posts from you, over and over again......... You ask the same things, and dont act on what people suggest. Its tiresome. I cant even add your name to the ignore list either cos you're a moderator of a section... Arghhhhh.. LOL

Last edited:
Notwithstanding whatever specifics are at play in the OP's case, the question he poses truly is pertinent. And that's because it echoes the queries I field daily: "what do I need to make your turbo perform like you promise"? And trust me, after typing the answers ad nauseam, it's mighty tempting to just say, "nothing but my turbo, baby!" But that's just not the case. Rather, here are what I consider the usual suspects, the mandatories, for a hybrid turbo conversion:

New:
MAF sensor
Coolant Temp sensor
O2 Sensor
Spark plugs
Coil packs
Brakes

Uprated:
Fuel pump
Fuel injectors
Intercooling
Engine mounts

The simple fact is you're transforming your 10-year old car into a Porsche Boxter. Or better. Be reasonable and understand that aged components need refreshing. And under-specced ones need upgrading. Approach it this way, and you will not only be happy with the performance, but you will actually like your car as well.

Reactions: Westy
you are missing one huge factor doug

mapping by someone competant and familiar with me7.5 and hybrids
not everyone is capable of managing this aspect