R-Tech vs My old clutch.. R-Tech won, need ideas for a new TQS clutch!

LSL

Luke
Reaction score
After finally getting my car remapped yesterday by Niki my 103k old clutch has started slipping.

Couldn't be happier with the remap:
DL4Nxrjl.jpg

Now I know the recommended route for A3's is the VR6 single mass etc. but apparently that won't fit mine. The question is will anything that'll go on an S3 fit mine and if so what are the best options?
I don't have any plans for big power btw.

I have an s3 cltuch in mine. Only done 8k so can't really comment on longevity.

Hey mate. Looks like a good result. I had that silver s3 down there yesterday, glad it made good power and your pleased. Sorry I can't really give advice on a clutch as mine has been good *touch wood!* Nah the vr6 won't fit because of a the six speed box and transfer box.

Cheers bud, glad you managed to find out how to switch your map haha!

I'll have a look at an S3 one Reesy :icon_thumright:

Whilst on the subject, for an S3, would the best thing be to just go for OEM clutch kit??

My friend isn't convinced my clutch is slipping because it doesn't slip when pulling away normally from a t-junction or wherever. It only does it in 3rd or above and when I've got my foot down at around 3k rpm (peak torque), he's an idiot right?

Also since sticking a couple of new Eagle F1's on the front there's a horrible noise coming from somewhere (can't tell if it's the front, back, haldex) on full lock that is best described as rumbling or groaning. Any ideas? :think:

Last edited:
If you do a search on the Eagle F1s and whining noise, sounds like a bearing is out, its a known issue and related to copies/fakes made in Thailand and the middle east.

I had a brand new set a couple of years ago and got used to the noise, but later found out about this issue.

Nilz I got them from Camskill so I should hope they're not copies!
In any case it's not a whining noise like a bearing, more like a juddering, I'm guessing it's tyres dragging or the haldex due to the difference in tyre diameters.

My friend isn't convinced my clutch is slipping because it doesn't slip when pulling away normally from a t-junction or wherever. It only does it in 3rd or above and when I've got my foot down at around 3k rpm (peak torque), he's an idiot right?

Also since sticking a couple of new Eagle F1's on the front there's a horrible noise coming from somewhere (can't tell if it's the front, back, haldex) on full lock that is best described as rumbling or groaning. Any ideas? :think:

A clutch won't slip pulling out of junctions, high load makes the clutch slip. Eg 3rd gear and above, 3k revs, WOT.

haha, your friend sounds like he hasn't got a clue :laugh:

As Ben said, high loads in higher gears will make a clutch slip.

Chances are you could thrash it all day long down country lanes and it'd never slip, then it'll slip driving home overtaking a lorry up a hill in top gear on the motorway....

the problem will only get worse sadly.

Haha I've always had my suspicions!
Should a standard LuK clutch and slave be enough to sort it?

A stock S3 clutch (bearing in mid the dyno graph you have posted) will be more then capable. LUK or sachs should be fine..

A stock S3 clutch (bearing in mid the dyno graph you have posted) will be more then capable. LUK or sachs should be fine..

Thanks, are TQ and S3 clutches different then? Also if I went for the S3 clutch would I have to get a new flywheel to go with it?

Thanks, are TQ and S3 clutches different then? Also if I went for the S3 clutch would I have to get a new flywheel to go with it?

6 speed tqs and s3 clutches are the same fitment, so no new flywheel needed.. Clutches might even be the same, but I would guess the S3 would be slightly better then the TQS one.

Okay mate, I would hope they are above board if they are from Camskill.

Which F1s are they by the way?

I had the GSD3s on mine, can you also check where they are made (should say it on the tyre).