Oh The Joys...Starting Issues

WorkInProgress

Reaction score
As I posted earlier, my stater motor has been making the dreaded screeching noise.

This morning I got the dreaded clicks and flashing dash lights as if the battery was low on juice then it kicked over no problem. Throughout the day it has done this again then sometimes started fine. Tonight though it started fine, then as I pulled up to some traffic lights I got a faint glimmer of the battery light coming on and it was idling a bit lumpy then ABS warning light and the big red flashing exclamation light on the dash. This has since cleared when I restarted the car when I got home.

Could I have a loose connection somewhere? I suspect the 2 issues are connected somehow but auto electrics might as well be voodoo to me, I haven't got the first clue about them.

Regarding the starter motor, on a '99 AGU will this be the 2 bolt type fitting? Just having a quick look on Ebay and there appears to be a 2 or a 3 bolt fitting type.

Hope it starts ok tomorrow, booked in for it's exhaust first thing :yes:

Rob

Hi mate, that sounds more like alternator to me than starter motor, I recently had a new starter motor fitted, it was 3 bolts on my AGU, from past experiences from what your describing there it sounds like the alternator not charging the battery. I'm sure someone will correct me tho lol

With it starting fine sometimes I'm thinking the alternator is ok, might be wrong though. Tonight is the first time the battery light has come on and it was only a feint glow

Check the Earths and all main positive connections for cleanliness/tightness (Main terminal on rear of alternator/main terminal on starter/ positive connection on battery)

If I remember correctly there is an earth around the battery tray area and there should also be a main engine earth from chassis to gearbox.

Check the above first before replacing anything.

Check the Earths and all main positive connections for cleanliness/tightness (Main terminal on rear of alternator/main terminal on starter/ positive connection on battery)

If I remember correctly there is an earth around the battery tray area and there should also be a main engine earth from chassis to gearbox.

Check the above first before replacing anything.

Cheers, will get onto this in the daylight tomorrow

+1 to it possibly being and earth problem or an issue with the alternator.

If you have a multimeter check the voltage of the battery with the engine off, then check it while the engine is running (charging).

I think a good alternator (reg-rec) outputs about 13.5v-14v (at least my motorbike does). More is baaaaad and less won't really be charging it properly.

BTW - a dodgy alternator/reg-rec might be screwing your battery! I'd recommend sticking it on a battery optimiser or otherwise charge the battery, I keep my bike hooked up to one 24/7 over winter and sometimes stick it on the S3 if it's been stood for a while.

hope this helps.

Liam

Reactions: WorkInProgress
So, this morning I jumped in the car expecting the worst, turned the key and it fired up right away. Half hour drive with lights, wipers, fan on no issues, no battery light and no other warning lights. Weird