coded key AGU

Spatula

A4 B6
Reaction score
I bought a switchblade key, as I currently only have 1 key for the car. I was wondering, A) do most key cutting places cut audi style keys and B) do I need to get some kind of code in it, and how would I go about doing that?

It's a 1998 R Reg A3 AGU.
It's not got remote central locking

Thanks in advance ;)

Sit-rep:- I got the key cut this afternoon. Unlocks the car fine, and starts ignition, however the flashing light with a car and key keeps flashing and when I start the car it immediately cuts out.
I understand this is because it's not coded to my immobiliser, so my next question is; how do I get my key to recognise my engine?

if your blade part did not come with a transponder fitted, u will have to get one and fit it, then the transponder needs coded, i think you can use vcds but???. i took mine to a local vag garage and he coded it for £25.

cheers mark

Do you have the SKC it comes on a tag with scratch off covering. might be in the handbook. If you do not have this code you will need to get it from dealer, or someone who has vag commander or vag tacho can retrieve it. It can then be coded with VCDS.