Tail gate wont open

stressfrees3

Reaction score
can someone advise me what gone wrong This TIME. Unlock all the doors of S3 51 plate but the tail gate remains locked and wont open. Managed to get the tail trim off and open the tail gate from the inside. You can hear the C/L pump working but nothing on the tail gate. Put the key into the lock and wont turn either. Is it:
tail agte lock or the actuator or micro switches or something. Please help as the MOT is due in two weeks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

check all the linkages on the inside face of the tailgate - these can rattle loose and make it impossible to open the boot!

but before you do the above, get some WD40 and spray it inside the lock barrel - this may cure it the easy way

[ QUOTE ]
can someone advise me what gone wrong This TIME. Unlock all the doors of S3 51 plate but the tail gate remains locked and wont open. Managed to get the tail trim off and open the tail gate from the inside. You can hear the C/L pump working but nothing on the tail gate. Put the key into the lock and wont turn either. Is it:
tail agte lock or the actuator or micro switches or something. Please help as the MOT is due in two weeks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Just as an aside, IIRC you don't need to remove the rear trim panel to unlock the boot from the inside, there is a small slot behind (or above) the warning triangle which will accept something thin, such as your key, slide the key from one side of the slot to the other (not sure in which direction) and it should undo the boot.

Kev.

Tried the WD40 and it didn't work. Managed to remove the trim and the lock is definately gone. Its stuck good and proper. New one from dealer £60.
For some unknown reason the lock doesn't work but the central locking sytem can lock and unlock the tail gate. I have tried all the perms and combs and the car is secure without the lock barrel working so Do I need a new Lock? no is probably the answer. This has baffled me. I think this could be a start of an elctrical problem for the car.
To make things even more strange the master key does not work with the central locking system but can talk to the immobiliser and start the car...oddddd

so............the boot locks/unlocks but you just can't lock it/unlock it using the key? Or the boot is not locking at all - either by using key pad (remote) and key?

[ QUOTE ]
so............the boot locks/unlocks but you just can't lock it/unlock it using the key? Or the boot is not locking at all - either by using key pad (remote) and key?

[/ QUOTE ]

The remote will lock/ unlock the tailgate now. if you insert the key it wont turn otherwise it will snap the key. If I dont use the lock I shouldn't need a new one if the remote locks.?????