Acquired 2001 Audi A3 1.6 Sport with various niggles

eddzter1978

Reaction score
Hi all, I’m new here. Loving all the excellent information on this site.

I’m fairly new to Audi’s so I was hoping you could give me some advice.

I recently purchased a 2001 8L Audi A3 1.6 Sport in Denim Blue for a very reasonable price. It is in good body condition but has quite a lot of minor issues.

The main issue is difficult starting. The car will die immediately after starting unless you give it the right amount of gas on the right foot. After about ten seconds of keeping the revs up, the car will find itself and it will run fine on its own. This issue is only at start up and once the car has found its idle, it will be fine until the next time it needs to be started, whether hot or cold.

The other issues are warning lights. It’s like Blackpool illuminations on the dash at times. The Air-Bag light is always on, the Engine Management light comes on and off at its leisure and a strange light which is a triangular Hazard symbol with a circular arrow round it also comes on and off when it feels like it.

The car is really lovely and drives brilliantly. I feel that it is worth spending money on so if I could be pointed in the right direction, I would most appreciate it.

Thanks All,
Ed