clutch issue..... maybe!!!

PiranhaMan

Reaction score
had a bit of a strange one this morning
... started the car as normal and sat waiting for her to warm up a little and pressed in the clutch peddle
lifted my foot and the peddle stayed down... couldn't put it in gear so got out and had a look round and nothing appeared to be leaking
checked round the peddle and all looked normal (apart from it being stuck to the floor!!!)
... i gave the paddle a little pull and it went back into position and instantly pressurised

drove to work, clutch felt the same as it always does and drove back home before without a problem !!?

had a mechanic friend of mine have a look over it before and he couldnt see anything obviously wrong either

so im a little confused... what could have caused the peddle to stick like that and is it anything to worry about?

Whats the milage on you car? Have you had the clutch changed at any point? It could be the slave cylinder starting to fail, how heavy doe your clutch pedal feel?

Pump it a few times, as it could be an air lock due to it being a hydraulic setup.

If not, it could be the pedal ready to snap.

Mine did this last week, approached a zebra crossing and luckily put it into neutral and my pedal snapped!!!

Luckily got it replaced the next day though, its not a major or expensive job, there is a sticky on how to do this if it helps at the top of the page.

I had this happen one cold morning about 2 years ago, pulled the pedal back up with my foot and never had the problem since, can sometimes feel sluggish when engine has just been started and seems related to freezing temperatures. Never caused an issue though.

thanks for the replies

@mk1chopper.... mileage is 72k and the clutch has never been done to my knowledge... and the clutch pedal doesn't feel heavy at all

@nilz... my mate thought maybe an air lock as well so its possibly that as all seems ok now

I had this happen one cold morning about 2 years ago, pulled the pedal back up with my foot and never had the problem since, can sometimes feel sluggish when engine has just been started and seems related to freezing temperatures. Never caused an issue though.
yeah it was very cold this morning (car was frozen) so im hoping its nothing serious and just a one off as the car feels normal again now

thanks again for the replies

I've heard from Audi about this happening because of the master cylinder, it very occasionally stops working like that when its cold then starts working again

sometimes its just the cold, mines played up a couple of times, but nothing to worry about. yours may just be the same

Mine did it when I first had it (of all times it was at a sprint line at Bruntingthorpe against a growling Ur Quattro !)
It has done it three times in total over nearly 8 years,finally snapped last year and had the pedal replaced.

sometimes its just the cold, mines played up a couple of times, but nothing to worry about. yours may just be the same

thats what im hoping mate... its been fine since and doesnt feel different so fingers crossed

cheers :icon_thumright: