More S3 woes.. Advice please :-)

Routledge

Wind Deflector Trend-setter
Reaction score
It's going in to Ben's tonight but it's a good 40 minutes drive away and I'm a bit worried about maybe making something worse - Wondering whether to risk trying to drive it there.. Or call upon the AA and get it recovered there.

I'll give you a little story so you've got the full picture. I'm not sure if any of it may be related..

On Friday;
NSR tyre was down to 8PSI and NSF tyre down to 20 so pumped them up.
The NSF tyre has a small gouge in it from an aggressive kerbing recently whilst trying to read house numbers at night but there's no lump to express urgency to change it.

Ordered new alloys (yet to arrive) to replace the ones on there and will be ordering a complete set of tyres hopefully today.

On Sunday;
Nice day, and with tyres still pumped up took it for a 30 minute round trip Sunday blast to pick some bike tyres up with a friend.
At the end of the return leg back.. Car behaving strangely, an uneven power delivery and almost feeling like in limp mode.

Then drove it 30 minutes down to Worthing to give it a full detailing - Behaviour getting worse, flicker of traction control light on occasion, as if I was on ice. Kept under 70mph and without 'ragging' to nurse it.

Few hours later after finished with the clean I went to drive it back.
- Pull off in 1st gear, get to around 2000RPM and then traction control light flickering and prevention from any further acceleration in 1st... Changed to 2nd and back to normal.
- Arrived at a set of traffic lights half way back.. Went to slow down and the brakes weren't working properly. Locked up (from deceleration of a gentle 50 down to 0 with plenty of road to do so) and finally came to a stop just after the line for the traffic lights. ABS light and traction control light now on fully.
- Turned off engine, and back on again, and ABS light still on - Traction control light now off.
- Went to pull off again in 1st - Same problem as first bullet point.

Arrived at the other half's folks house and turned off. Looked in the engine bay and everything appearing as normal, looked underneath and no obvious bits hanging off or fluid leaking.

After an hour went to drive again down the road back home. ABS light on as soon as I turned the ignition on.. and same issue in 1st gear.. Left my foot this time on the floor to see if would clear and go, but no joy so changed into 2nd gear.. And this time going nowhere in 2nd either, and horrible driveshaft or gearbox-sounding clunking.
Moved over to the side of the road, and turned the engine off and back on again - ABS and traction control light both on.. But I pressed the ESP button to try and disengage the ESP incase it was causing the problem. Car drove home fine, albeit with lights on.

Got in the car this morning to see if any change - Both traction control and ESP light on again, nursed the car 0.6mls to work without exceeding 1500-2000RPM - Still not feeling right, as if the knocking from underneath is wanting to come back.. But I'm not giving it enough beans for it to really complain.

Any immediate ideas? Should I get it recovered, or just drive it carefully to Ben's?

Yes they are - Forgot to mention that on the journey down the road back last night I checked the tyre pressure again and one was at 30 from 32 and the other was 31 from 32.

If there's no obvious signs of leakage then it could be electrical/sensory....I expect you have no access to VCDS without driving it somewhere?

Sadly, I don't have access to any diagnostics currently without driving it somewhere. It's on the 'wish list' but something I keep forgetting to buy!

EDIT: Still wondering whether to risk driving it there, or to get it recovered.

Last edited:
I had similar but not as extreme. One time though the ABS kicked in and made it basically have no brakes. The wiring going to the faulty ABS sensor was ********. Had to cut the ABS sensor off as it wouldn't come out, replaced them with £5 eBay jobbies and the wiring and it's perfect now. Don't drive it, yours sounds much worse than mine was. Before that happened it just stopped the ABS from working which was fine with me as I hate it mainly because it causes problems as mentioned above.

Yeah I am in two minds about trying to drive it.. I'll keep thinking about it over the course of the day and then make a decision.