Always something else...

s3clarke

Money grabbing s3!
Reaction score
So I decided to change my top mounts on the s3 Saturday, did 1 side, then onto the drivers side to find I have a bust spring! Great. A bit like the other week with the new s2000 filter, put it on, then the next couple of days it started screaming under boost, turns out the tip was split. So now next month, not only do I need to buy a new tip but also a set of springs for the car. Unfortunate really as I nearly had a set of coilovers the start I this month. Never ending..

Bad luck grae let me know if ya need a hand get coil overs mate

What's slightly confusing is that the broken spring issue is hardly ever noticed by anyone. I'm curious about all you guys who do so much to your suspensions whether it's to upgrade them or see simply renew back to original and then not to notice a broken spring, but are quick to notice improvements.

?

Bad news mate hope its not an expensive fix.

What's slightly confusing is that the broken spring issue is hardly ever noticed by anyone. I'm curious about all you guys who do so much to your suspensions whether it's to upgrade them or see simply renew back to original and then not to notice a broken spring, but are quick to notice improvements.

?

Cant see how its confusing really but that's just me :uhm:. Well for one, uprated new shocks and springs will feel a lot stiffer, so that's pretty much self explanatory. and as for the broken spring, there was a problem with the rears where they also broke but just a small piece on the inside, so you wouldn't really notice until you look for that exact problem, or it gets picked up when you get your car MOT done as my old one was.

Chris.

Yea it's only half a coil and when I measured the height change its only 3mm lower with the broke spring. Not noticeable, and to be honest I don't even think you can feel it when the car is driven. Just a pain in the an*s!

Cheers lee, I'll probably just go open my work up on a weekend and do them there. Air lines etc with air guns makes for an easier job :)

?

Have you checked yours recently?

I noticed mine because it snapped whilst I was in the car and made a god awful bang.

well I suppose it depends how much of the spring breaks. I only casually mention it as a lot of threads I have read drivers were not even aware their rear springs have snapped until the MOT had picked them up.
So Dave B, apart from the initial noise of the spring braking did you notice anything in the ride quality ?
When mine went, I was not aware.

well I suppose it depends how much of the spring breaks. I only casually mention it as a lot of threads I have read drivers were not even aware their rear springs have snapped until the MOT had picked them up.
So Dave B, apart from the initial noise of the spring braking did you notice anything in the ride quality ?

Yeah its only a small piece that broke off on mine, there was no way id notice and was quite shocked when the MOT tester told me they needed to be changed, had to get right under to see the end where it had sheared off. It must be a design fault somewhere as it is regular thing across the range. I would like to get uprated suspension its just the cost right now, but its made me want to check my car again.

Chris.

Common fault on TT / S3 / Golf.

I had boths rears go. I heard it go, I was walking back to the car and it went off with a bang. The last coil broke off.
When I had the pair changed, the other was in a bad shape.

MOT tester a year or so later also found 1" snapped off the end of one of the fronts.

This was on my old 2003 S3 with about 70K on the clock fitted with optional factory quatto gmbh suspenson.

If you have a long term ownership, you are likely to see this at some point, especially as cars are getting older.

Same here Paul my old S3 cracked both but im now thinking the one I have now could be broke at the front because it sits relly low for standard shock/spring setup.

Ive never been left stranded, I limped home, but brothers old 25th anniversary golf did snap a front spring than needed a recovery truck, as the suspension collapsed.

Mine are the factory pink dotted springs, so have probably done a good 90,000k if broken recently. Just a shame really I long to get it to a point where I'm happy but I guess that's just cars

I'll second this! I changed my springs as the front passenger snapped, only when I was replacing the rear ones (they were lowering springs so changed them all obviously!) did I come to find the rear drivers spring had snapped!! right near the top and looked like it was just fractured until I pulled it out in 2 pieces!!

Both my rear springs were snapped when I changed mine..... Just a little piece about 2 inches long