JMB RetrofitsChris Nott
    4th Gear

Status

Coil pack loom replaced ... so smooth now!!

Hi

I finally got around to splicing in a replacement coil pack loom.

Amazing how much difference it does make, the engine and throttle response seems much smoother now.

I found my old one was pretty knackered once I'd removed the insulating tape. It's really scary making that first cut into the loom but glad I plucked up the balls to do it.

While doing this I noticed my tensioner gasket is leaking ... Dammit I only replaced it last year, another job back on the list.

Liam

S3 AMK 2002. Only 203 BHP left in my poor little engine, currently searching for the 7 missing horses.
    Mods: Powerflex bushes at the front and rear, 710P DV, ambient light module, Badger5 V3 TIP, S2000 Filter.

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    This is a job ive gotta do ive got 4 new connectors so its just a case of making the loom, not a massive job just not one i really wanna do
    ​Wish Rachel would let me have my TDI mk5 back

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by phil miller View Post
    This is a job ive gotta do ive got 4 new connectors so its just a case of making the loom, not a massive job just not one i really wanna do
    ah I got the standard replacement loom from TPS and just cut off all the useless crap and spliced it in. For 25 quid you've got all the correct gauges of wire and the connectors are professionally terminated. Just a matter of matching the wires, cutting, soldering and heat shrinking.

For the S3 none of the off the shelf looms match colouring or configuration so a bit of thinking and butchering is required. If there was a correct loom available I'd have re wired it all the way back to the ECU.

The new loom had 1 solid-brown coming from the connectors but my existing loom had three separate browns so I had to splice them all together. It ended up tidy enough but just meant I had to triple check connections before cutting and splicing.

S3 AMK 2002. Only 203 BHP left in my poor little engine, currently searching for the 7 missing horses.
    Mods: Powerflex bushes at the front and rear, 710P DV, ambient light module, Badger5 V3 TIP, S2000 Filter.

4th Gear

Status
    Tps sell a replacement part of loom for £25? Awesome do you have the part number and is it like the four plugs and 6inches of wire? Is it for an S3 or A3? Need info so I can order one ASAP

4th Gear

Status
    Awesome GTI have one, they have it marketed as an ECS product.
    ECS Tuning Coilpack Wiring Loom Replacement

There are two version of the loom, one has oil sensor wiring and the other doesn't.

It doesn't matter what one you get as you'll strip out the non-coil pack plugs/wires and cut the whole thing in half.

From the dealer or TPS the part should be 1J0 971 658 M (oil sensor) or 1J0 971 658 L (no oil sensor)

awesome gti coil pack looms on an s3?

Last edited by vfr800; 17th February 2013 at 01:22.

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status

I bet most of the cars on this forum have a badly cracked loom. It really does make a big difference once swapped over.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

1st Gear

Status
    Just bought one from Awesome thanks to this thread. Have been putting it off for months and month and then totally forgot about it
    2002 Audi S3 261bhp
    Miltec Exhaust, Badger5 TIP, Stage 1 Remap, 007P DV.

Todo: Fit LCR Splitter, FMIC, Clean.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    I bet most of the cars on this forum have a badly cracked loom. It really does make a big difference once swapped over.
    Mine are cracked really badly, and lets face it, that wont get any better will call TPS tomorrow and see if they do it, if not i will get one from the top link, that really is spot on

Thanks lads

Down under

Status
    Is it easily visible or do you have to rip it all apart to see it? I'd go out and check but the cars about 4,000 miles away at present...
    Handling mods++. HTA3582 stroker soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_ View Post
    Is it easily visible or do you have to rip it all apart to see it? I'd go out and check but the cars about 4,000 miles away at present...
    If you can get to the coil pack connectors it's easy. You'll usually see the insulation cracked.

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    This is what mine looked like:

Audi A3 T sport (8l) AUM 2001..... Stage 1 Remap , Bailey DV30 , HID Headlights , LED Sidelights/Footwells , Catch Can , N249 Bypass , Tinted Windows .....

2nd Gear

Status

Does anyone do a replacement loom for a AGU or am I going to have to make one

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3-Lee View Post
    Does anyone do a replacement loom for a AGU or am I going to have to make one
    I've googled and can't find any one doing these.

I think your only option is to buy 4 of the connectors (4D0 906 232) and make your own loom up. Make sure you match the gauges of wire and that you terminate the crimp terminals well. Fortunately you only have three wires on each plug.

5th Gear

Status
    Mine is too got to sort this ha
    350bhp & 316ftlb BBT new k16 7+7 blade hybrid turbo, Welly cooler, jetex filter, relentless ported v3 manifold 3" downpipe & de-cat, liquid gauge, r32 rear arb, AGU ported and polished Head, 550cc injectors, kw v2 Coilovers, s3dave tie bars & heat sheild, milltek cat back, I.E forged rods, brembos, inline fuel pump, v3 badger 5 tip, devils own WMI kit, AGU pistons, rear grooved discs & brembo pads, ds2500 pads & EBC ultimax disc, stack boost gauge