Exhaust Question

WorkInProgress

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

Popped down to see the guy that's going to be fabricating my exhaust this morning. It'll be a single box 2.5" from my decat downpipe for £290.
On my way home I was wondering if the single box is necessary? Would it be far too noisy for my daily if I went for a straight through system without a box?

Rob

In a word mate yes! I talk from experience I removed my centre box ( I have a side exit so only box is the middle box) is sounded like a tractor it was truly awful so a box went straight back in hope this helps lee

Reactions: WorkInProgress
Yes... it will be very noisy witout a box at all and most likely get you a section 59 :)

I have a 3" system and originally had 2 x straight through boxes on it and it was awful in the car... on cruise it droned very badly and made me very glad to get out of the car at the end of a journey... on boost it sounded awesome but would have got me unwanted attention for sure if I had not swapped it for a larger (Miltek) back box...

Looked like this before the swap..
20091121_IMG_3923.jpg

Now its nice and subdued on cruise but purposeful on boost

<tuffty/>

I had a pikey exhaust on my old a4 1.8t. No boxes at all and decat. Sounded like sh1t lol. Fitted a cheap MIJ backbox to it and it sounded alright then. Well... It was still loud and the pops used to make people scream in the street (true story 3 girls actually did scream) used to love the sound of the spool though lol.

Stick with the single rear box. Shouldn't be too bad providing its not too small and it won't be as loud as a 3" system.

Tuffty, your exhaust looks spot on, how much and where from please dude?