new 1.8t aum owner. few issues temp related

zornyan

Reaction score
Hello audisport. Me and the missus purchased a 52 plate (early 03) a3 1.8t with an aum engine, i own and drive/drift a nissan 200sx s13 with a fully forged ca18 in it, brilliant car but averaging 20 odd mpg and the usual noise harshness etc forced me to get something a little more refined to use for day to day driving.

Now onto the car, its a grest motor, in a dark purple that looks lovely, unfortunatly it hasnt been all that reliable, its just turned over 102k and since buing it end of november ive replaced the following.

New bosch maf
Replaced all the breather hoses with silicone jobbies as the oem hoses were annilated
Replaced the pancake valve that connects to y hose
Replaced recirc valve
Replaced several hose clamps etc
Rear wiper rebuild kit
New iridium plugs and gapped correctly.

So obviously cost a few quid so far. Now leading onto its most recent problem

Since owning the car its never got up to temp on the gauge, i replaced the sender for the gauge for a green one, no change.
Replaced the thermostat last week and it now gets up to temp, but it keeps throwing up 17704 codes still and takes roughly 15 minutes or 8ish miles of driving before it heats up. Which reading on the internet seems very slow, but once there it sits dead on 90 and doesnt drop or rise.

Aany suggestions as to what to try next? Theres no leaks and i really cant think of anything else to try.

Also to add the idle moves around a bit, as in it will move between say 800then drop to 750 and back to 800 instead of staying steady.

Apart from the 8 minutes to heating up mine does this (AUM as well). Got it MOT'd yesterday and my mate that runs the place reckons the head gasket is on its way out. However, after speaking to people on the forum they all suggested to check all vac pipes for any leaks (dodgy idle) - I think there's a way of getting a smoke test so any vac leaks would show smoke - and get a hydrocarbons test on the coolant in case it's leaking into one of the cylinders, which would suggest the HG is going.

Run the engine with the coolant cap off and let it burp any air bubbles out.

I'm replacing the radiator on mine as there is a slight leak of steam/smoke from the front through the grill so one of the capillaries might be split on the rad. It was £26 so I'll do the cheap stuff first and hope that it's not the HG. Maybe with warmer weather in a few months mine and yours might start to overheat? But at the moment it's so slight that it's not showing huge symptoms.

8 miles in this cold weather is prety good to get up to temp
the CTS you fitted was it oem or after market ?

Aftermarket. Gsf car parts i believe. Its not overheating or using any water so i doubt its headgasket, theres also no smoke at all. Got an mot the other day and emissions were spot on too.

Not sure why its throwing up a code. Its obviously all working. Any other possible sensors?

gsf parts fail a lot
also chuck codes even tho they work
get the oem 1

Ill give an oem one a shot then. See if that makes any difference.