What to tell my insurance company?

"chipped management systems"
Engine Power:increased by 11-20%"

only my remap has cost anything.

samcos, dv, brakes, spacers etc have been no cost, falling under the 11-20% increase bit.

everything listed, like nearly everything in your sig should be.

best to tell them they will use any excuse not to pay up if the worse happens

forgot to add, they dont need to know if its

revo, amd, apr, mrc, jabba etc etc, just % increase.

Q: What's the worst that can happen if you tell them?
A: You have to pay them a few quid extra in premium.

Q: What's the worst that can happen if you don't tell them?
A: Someone is killed in an accident that is your fault, your insurers discover the mod and void your policy, and you are declared bankrupt after the deceased's family sue you right down to your boxer shorts.

Tricky one, when you think about it.

I agree, very strongly.. its very important you tell them, for your sake and for everyone elses!

I told mine - they weren't sure how to handle it at first and requested more details. Ed at AMD sent me an email summary for me to forward to them, after which they didnt increase the premium at all, but did increase the excess (added £200 to it) which to me seemed very fair, as a response to a 25%+ increase in performance.

Neednt cost the earth then, but definate peace of mind.. for every reason jdp said, and for the protection of your pride and joy!

don't worry guys, I'm gonna tell my insurance company, I'm with you guys on that point, I just wanted to know what to tell them exactly, but I guess I'll just tell them "chipped management systems" Engine Power increased, if they want more details then I'll check AMD, but thanks for the help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Hi Found the email from Ed:

"Dear Sir/Madam,

Please find details below regarding the upgrade carried out to Mr [currymilkshake!]'s Audi A4.

Customer: Mr [CurryMilkshake]
Vehicle: Audi A4 1.9TDI Auto
Reg: [__04 ___]

Vehicle was upgraded on the 16th March 2005 to stage 1 level which comprises of a rolling road remap which involves optimising the software on the current ECU chip. This upgrade was done via Wayside Audi and is therefore warranted by this dealer as well as our own warranty as detailed to Mr. [Currymilkshake]"

He then summarises in detail the before and after figures for BHP and Torque, and gave them contact details if they wanted anything more.

I simply forwarded this to the insurers, and they were more than happy with it!

(Top service from AMD as usual!)

Hope that helps.

OK, so what happens if you sell your remapped car and "forget" to tell the prospective buyer that it's chipped? Or, more likely, the new owner sells it after he has bought it from you and he wasn't interested in the mods you have done so doesn't pass this information on to the new owner, then the new owner has a serious crash and the insurance company discovers the mod etc etc?

Did that make sense? If not, then I apologise it is very late!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleep.gif

Its a very fair question - I think it is incumbent on us to include that information at point of sale, perhaps giving the option (I know AMD do this) of returning it to 'standard'

If they dont act on it then its their problem..

If you dont tell them then they would have to prove to the insurance company that they didnt know, I would think..

[ QUOTE ]
OK, so what happens if you sell your remapped car and "forget" to tell the prospective buyer that it's chipped? Or, more likely, the new owner sells it after he has bought it from you and he wasn't interested in the mods you have done so doesn't pass this information on to the new owner, then the new owner has a serious crash and the insurance company discovers the mod etc etc?

Did that make sense? If not, then I apologise it is very late!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleep.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

makes perfect sense bit there is no excuse for ignorance!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

makes perfect sense bit there is no excuse for ignorance!

[/ QUOTE ]

But that's my point - if you buy a car and the owner does not tell you that mods have been carried out, then you sell it on, you are genuinely not going to pass the mod info on. Sure, different wheels, spoilers etc are easy to see but a remap would mean getting the car rolling road tested to find out if it is or not - do you get this done on any s/h car you buy?

whether you have intentionally not declared the mod or have no idea that its been modded then you're still driving an un-insured car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

its down to the buyer to discover and declare any mods

as i said, ignorance is no excuse /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
its down to the buyer to discover and declare any mods

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be VERY suprised if that statement is true. Do you have some proof?

Car insurance, like all insurance, is based on all details being provided "in good faith". If you didn't know about the mod, and can prove it (probably need to go to court to do so), then I doubt you would be found to be liable.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That statement when considering the law is certainly true, I've heard that used it court before as part of our prosecution.

"Ignorance of the law is no excuse"

But how it relates to someone who may not know about mods to their car - I have no idea, is ignorance of the facts also not allowed?

Kev.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That statement when considering the law is certainly true, I've heard that used it court before as part of our prosecution.

But how it relates to someone who may not know about mods to their car - I have no idea, is ignorance of the facts also not allowed?

Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]

But it's not ignorance of the law, that would be saying "I didn't know that having a 265bhp S3 and insuring it as a standard 225bhp S3 was illegal"

It's ignorance (intentionally or otherwise) of a change to the standard specifications of the said car.....

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]

But it's not ignorance of the law, that would be saying "I didn't know that having a 265bhp S3 and insuring it as a standard 225bhp S3 was illegal"

It's ignorance (intentionally or otherwise) of a change to the standard specifications of the said car.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I know fella - that's what I said /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kev.

my bad guys, forgot to put "just my 2p" at the end of my post

thats what happens when your in a rush to post!

if someone genuinely didnt know about a remap then i guess it would be a tough call to make on what would happen

my bet is that it would involve lots of solicitors though!

also just dug this from a similar thread on talkaudio;

[ QUOTE ]
In a case study in one of the broadsheets there was a woman who bought a Cavalier 1.6GL or whatever and it had the full SRi kit and alloys. Being like a 50 year old woman with no interest in cars she didn't know anything about it until she was in an accident and the insurer (Eagle Star IIRC) refused to pay out for undeclared mods.

[/ QUOTE ]