Power loss at low revs when cold 1.8T

dayofthejackal

Reaction score
I have power loss below 1,800rpm when the engine is cold.
The power will cut out and come back randomly. It only happens when the engine is cold for the first few minutes of driving and there is also sometimes a sound like air dumping, but it's not the recirc' valve as the boost gauge doesn't move and I have tested it with the valve blocked off.
Also had a vac leek test done and it was fine.
Once warm this doesn't happen and the power is very smooth low down.
No codes showing.

Cleaned it when I got it a couple of months ago. Other work done when bought: MAF, Coil Pack, Coil Wiring Harness, Recirc Valve, Silicone Vac and PCV Hoses, Oil Catch Can.

I am currently having the same problem but can't find any info either. Could need plugs changing perhaps?

CTS?

Why does it matter, if it's just when cold, you best not to blast it when cold, treat it like a safety feature,lol

No codes. TBA was done. Only happens between 1,200 rpm and 1,800 rpm so make it hard to drive when cold. When I say loss of power I mean it's like taking your foot off the accelerator. CTS?

surely we cant be the only ones with this problem?! have you managed to find out anything about the problem, im very reluctant to take it to audi but i might have to resort to that if i cant find anymore info :(

Mines been into Audi and they couldn't find anything wrong and blamed the remap. But it did it before it was mapped.

This is turning into a nightmare, mine has only started doing it over the past two weeks but its one of those needle in a haystack problems! Not really sure what the next step is...

i think it's not genuine, but anyway can't see why a bad read by MAF would be only on cold engine..

I have noticed the boost gauge going up to 0 when the power drops, then it's dropping to around -10 when the power comes back.

Do you have vcds? it might be worth logging some sensors and stuff when the cars playing up, so other people on here can see what's going on.
Dan

I would prob log things like the maf, cts, throttle position. and hope that something is reading way out momentarily. good luck mate!!

Changed the Thermostat and dipstick and the problem has gone away. Now nice and smooth when cold.

My wife's STD Audi A3 1.8T sport is doing the same thing. I've cleaned the TB and check for and split pipes, it's just had a new thermostat. When you say you've changed the dipstick is that because the orange housing had snapped? The dipstick housing has snapped on my wife's car but it's still held in place by the mettle bracket at the top. Could this really be the cause of the problem?

Reactions: Lee heath
Yes the orange dip stick was snapped and when I replaced it the problems stopped, BUT I have the same problem again and have no idea what is causing it. Not the dipstick this time.