AH FabricationsChris Nott
    Neutral

Status

Power loss at low revs when cold 1.8T

I have power loss below 1,800rpm when the engine is cold.
    The power will cut out and come back randomly. It only happens when the engine is cold for the first few minutes of driving and there is also sometimes a sound like air dumping, but it's not the recirc' valve as the boost gauge doesn't move and I have tested it with the valve blocked off.
    Also had a vac leek test done and it was fine.
    Once warm this doesn't happen and the power is very smooth low down.
    No codes showing.
    Audi A3 1.8T 2001 AUM - Custom Stage 2 Map. 3" De-cat Downpipe, 2.5" System, 100mm SMIC, CAI, BKR7E Plugs, Forge Recirc Valve. Uprated Clutch with Lightened SM Flywheel. SAI, N249 Removed, Simplified PCV with Oil Catch Can, Silicone Vac and Boost Hoses.

Seat Altea 2.0TDi DSG 2004 BKD - Custom Stage 1 Map. Now with new Engine, Turbo, Intercooler, Piping and Radiator (due to Turbo failing and dumping bits into the engine)

Essentials - VAG-COM. WinOLS.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    Tried searching but couldn't find anything similar. Anyone?
    Audi A3 1.8T 2001 AUM - Custom Stage 2 Map. 3" De-cat Downpipe, 2.5" System, 100mm SMIC, CAI, BKR7E Plugs, Forge Recirc Valve. Uprated Clutch with Lightened SM Flywheel. SAI, N249 Removed, Simplified PCV with Oil Catch Can, Silicone Vac and Boost Hoses.

Seat Altea 2.0TDi DSG 2004 BKD - Custom Stage 1 Map. Now with new Engine, Turbo, Intercooler, Piping and Radiator (due to Turbo failing and dumping bits into the engine)

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Throttle body may need cleaning? it might be sticky when cold...

Neutral

Status
    Cleaned it when I got it a couple of months ago. Other work done when bought: MAF, Coil Pack, Coil Wiring Harness, Recirc Valve, Silicone Vac and PCV Hoses, Oil Catch Can.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I am currently having the same problem but can't find any info either. Could need plugs changing perhaps?

Neutral

Status
    It had a Full service when I got it aswell, so plugs can't be my problem.

1st Gear

Status
    17705 fault code popping up??

5th Gear

Status
    did it have a TBA after the throttle body was removed and cleaned?

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    CTS?

Why does it matter, if it's just when cold, you best not to blast it when cold, treat it like a safety feature,lol

Neutral

Status
    No codes. TBA was done. Only happens between 1,200 rpm and 1,800 rpm so make it hard to drive when cold. When I say loss of power I mean it's like taking your foot off the accelerator. CTS?

Reverse Gear

Status
    surely we cant be the only ones with this problem?! have you managed to find out anything about the problem, im very reluctant to take it to audi but i might have to resort to that if i cant find anymore info

Neutral

Status
    Mines been into Audi and they couldn't find anything wrong and blamed the remap. But it did it before it was mapped.

Reverse Gear

Status
    This is turning into a nightmare, mine has only started doing it over the past two weeks but its one of those needle in a haystack problems! Not really sure what the next step is...

5th Gear

Status
    Was the Maf a genuine part?

Neutral

Status
    Can't find the receipt to check. It wasn't a cheap £40 one.

s3 driver

Status
    i think it's not genuine, but anyway can't see why a bad read by MAF would be only on cold engine..
    Audi S3 8L
    OZ Superleggera | Bilstein B14 | BMC CDA | K04 | FMIC | SACHS Race Engineering | Brembo Sport GT | EBC Redstuff

Live to drive, drive to live

Neutral

Status
    I have noticed the boost gauge going up to 0 when the power drops, then it's dropping to around -10 when the power comes back.

1st Gear

Status
    Do you have vcds? it might be worth logging some sensors and stuff when the cars playing up, so other people on here can see what's going on.
    Dan
    2002 s3 silver, BAM, lcr Brembos ds2500 pads, Braided hoses, forge 008 dv, stack boost gauge, power flex dog bone bush/wishbone bushes, forge boost hoses, B5 tip, B5 remap, toyo fmic

Neutral

Status
    Yes I have VCDS. But what should I log?

1st Gear

Status
    I would prob log things like the maf, cts, throttle position. and hope that something is reading way out momentarily. good luck mate!!
    2002 s3 silver, BAM, lcr Brembos ds2500 pads, Braided hoses, forge 008 dv, stack boost gauge, power flex dog bone bush/wishbone bushes, forge boost hoses, B5 tip, B5 remap, toyo fmic

Neutral

Status
    Changed the Thermostat and dipstick and the problem has gone away. Now nice and smooth when cold.

1st Gear

Status
    My wife's STD Audi A3 1.8T sport is doing the same thing. I've cleaned the TB and check for and split pipes, it's just had a new thermostat. When you say you've changed the dipstick is that because the orange housing had snapped? The dipstick housing has snapped on my wife's car but it's still held in place by the mettle bracket at the top. Could this really be the cause of the problem?
    S4 1999 yellow avant, eiback pro kit, RS4 wheels powder coated black, snub mount, rear diff polly bush, rear diff Carrierr, 034 arm kit, RS4 grill and bumper mesh, forge DV x 2, SS cat back, silicone hose set. To come... Remap, intercooler, turbo back with sports cats.

Neutral

Status
    Yes the orange dip stick was snapped and when I replaced it the problems stopped, BUT I have the same problem again and have no idea what is causing it. Not the dipstick this time.