Bleeding brakes/ECS kit

Pontio

Reaction score
Hello to you all, I fitted my ECS front and rear brake kit today and blead the brakes, i now have 2 questions for any1 willing to answer:
1) My brake pedal is a bit spungy, is there a specific way of bleeding the brakes i do not know about?
2) My Handbrake cables do not reach up to the rear calipers, is there something i dont know? do i need S3 handbrake cables?

You'll probably have to bleed the master cylinder, theres a bleed nipple right underneath the MC.

For the rear H/B you'll have to slacken the cables off as much as poss at the rear of the handbrake.
If your using the ECS 308mm rears, the standard cables WILL reach with a bit of jiggery....

If you work your way back towards the handbrake on the cable, and un attach it fom the car, connect it up to the calipers, and then re-attach to the car, all will be fine. It wont fit with the cable in its standard position so it just need moving back a few inches. Shouldnt be a problem...there is a fair bit of slack in the cable.

As for the brakes, 4-pot calipers are really easy to get air trapped in, also depending on how long the lines were detached, air could have got into the system. Try bleeding the MC also. I had a major air problem with my brakes a few months back, and had to crack the unions on the ABS as air had got in there too.

Rich

ok, thanks guys. gonna try bleeding the mc and slackening off handbrake cables etc.

had a look at the master cylinder last night and i can see what look like 2 6-7mm nipples on it. do i just bleed from them or only 1 of the 2?

They are probably for the front and rear circuits....

2? I never noticed 2 on my master cylinder when I was having problems - just one 8mm nipple. Maybe mine is different. Thinking about bleeding mine again, never knew it at the time but i replace the system with dot 3 insted of dot 4

Yep, 2 nipples on the S3,
You do know there is a specific pattern to follow when bleeding brakes?
Start at the furthest point from the cylinder and work you way towards it. Make sure the reservoir never drops below it min mark or your in for more trouble.

[ QUOTE ]
is it only S3's that have 2 nipples?

[/ QUOTE ]
Would it be cheap to... nah....

75% of my girlfriends have had 2 nipples /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rob.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

mmm definately not !! Our lovely companions also share the same quantity but are much nicer to handle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rob.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG the 25% must have been mingers!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rob.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG the 25% must have been mingers!

[/ QUOTE ]
...And thankfully enough banished from memory /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Surprisingly enough, the one from Blackpool was certainly in the 75% /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Rob.

In fact thinking about her... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

lol! No the 1.8T has 2. I think its probably all the cars that ued the same caliper (all with 288mm/312mm as standard)

Rich

ah, mine only has 280mm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif its needing new pads n discs too! Been wondering if I would be better sourcing new hubs to get the bigger disc for the turbo or the S3 as my carrier is part of the hub /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gifb