EM TuningBadger5
    Neutral

Status

S3 8L 210 standard pistons

What is the limit of power/torque that you should run on a standard set of pistons in a 210 S3 8L?

I know that the ''Common way of thinking'' for Rods is 300bhp/300lb/ft torque (dependant on aggression of the delivery)

many thanks.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    around 400hp...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    around 400hp...

<tuffty/>
    are the 210 and 225 pistons the same? The 225 pistons a Mahle forged pistons arent they?

p.s. Read you whole blog, post by post - I love it man!! Would love to have an 'enthusiastic' drive with my Rallye up against it!

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sje00 View Post
    are the 210 and 225 pistons the same? The 225 pistons a Mahle forged pistons arent they?

p.s. Read you whole blog, post by post - I love it man!! Would love to have an 'enthusiastic' drive with my Rallye up against it!
    Thank you

210/225 pistons are the same... my AMK is a 210... AFAIK all turbo 20v's use Mahle forged pistons (squeeze cast forgings)... I am now using Ibiza Cupra pistons which are a higher compression ratio but still 20mm pins

TBH I would be changing the pistons if I were building an engine for more horsepower than that purely as I wouldn't want a 450+hp engine thats got 100k miles on it... in which case I would go for an 82.5mm over bore and aftermarket pistons...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    Thank you

210/225 pistons are the same... my AMK is a 210... AFAIK all turbo 20v's use Mahle forged pistons (squeeze cast forgings)... I am now using Ibiza Cupra pistons which are a higher compression ratio but still 20mm pins

TBH I would be changing the pistons if I were building an engine for more horsepower than that purely as I wouldn't want a 450+hp engine thats got 100k miles on it... in which case I would go for an 82.5mm over bore and aftermarket pistons...

<tuffty/>
    My brothers been offered a GT2871R with .86 housing, and is wanting similar power and OEM looks you have created. You should be proud of yours mate! We both love it.

Thank you for the info mate.

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    I THINK? someone on vortex ran some standard pistons up to 600 bhp but it didn't last long
    RIP S3dave/David Marshall stickers now available
    FOR SALE
    Sparco Torino 2 sport seats, None resonated Milltek exhaust, Blue Haldex controller
    Adjustable FPR from 1-5 bar, 2 sets of Unused ARP 3/8 2000 rod bolts, relentless 200 cell cat pipe, Std AGU Crankshaft. Ported & Reconditioned Cylinder head service.