vcds total cost?? i did try vcds forum

epox

Reaction score
ok here goes, sorry if this is somewhere else.

downloaded vcds lite, got a cheep cable from ebay seems to work.

now im looking at getting a license for this from ross tech, what i want to know do i have to buy a ross tech cabe as well as a license to get full use??

so would it be $99 plus the cost of one of thier cables

or

would it be $99 plus using the cheep ebay cable.

cheers mark

ps its to be used on a 2003 s3

Last edited:
vcds lite is 99 bucks + cost of any cable... vcds lite is licenced to the laptop you install it on... full fat vcds is 230ish quid (iirc) but the cable acts as a dongle and can be used on any machine with vcds installed... I regularly swap between my netbook and laptop...

<tuffty/>

its $99 plus the cost of the ebay cable.

if you want to get the full hex can usb cable they are $349 (this it to do mk5/6 stuff)

You can buy the lite version first and use that until you want to upgrade to full version, then you will get a $99 discount off the full price.

Is VCDS Lite any good though? I had a few codes yesterday, now sorted, and just Googled/Ross Tech'd the codes. I can't wipe the codes but I have a VAG mechanic friend that does it but I like to tinker with my own car so I like to know what's going on. I can't see the benefit of paying $99 for a license. Even if Ross Tech pulled the pages of their site that deciphered the codes, there are plenty of ASN threads and other VAG forums that explain what they are.

I have a basic download of vcds lite, its ok but thats it! With the free copy you can check and clear some codes but not check every block on the car, you can also only log blocks 1-20 so you can log maf but not boost, fuel trims etc. For a 7 quid ebay cable its better than nothing but 99 bucks buys you a lot more and 250 gets you more again. Personally I'd recommend a registered copy of lite....

i bought my VCDS cable HEX + CAN with soft VCDS release 11.11.4 (inkl. Golf VI, R8, Bentley Cont. and etc.) for £80 qiuck from BG ;) if someone have interest i can send to uk.