help please, in a downpipe tangle...

slowcoach3

Reaction score
when everyone says move the prop shaft out the way...how do you do that? i can move mine front to back but mot side to side! having loads of fun with this lol

I thought you would of been finished already :)

Have you removed the 3 bolts that hold the prop to the coupler? If so I think it's easier to loosen the dog bone mount so you can push the engine forward a bit, then slide the prop out.

I ****** love you scullies, blinded by rage i missed that trick!

the prob has a mount/bush half way along its length, underneath a shield for the exhaust. take the shield off, undo the mount, and the prop will slide right off.

cheers Karl, props sorted now, unfortunately my ****** subfrtame won't drop so much as a cm despite me undoing everything. can't say i wasnt warned though!

I'm dreading this day..

I ****** love you scullies, blinded by rage i missed that trick!

:wub:

I know what a pita the install is to do.
I think I also removed the heat shield on the subframe, can't remember what it covers but I remember it getting in the way.
Do you want to completely remove the subframe? If so there are extra bolts on the steering rack.

You don't have the car stands resting on the subframe by mistake :jester:

Russ why didnt you call, ive been on Facebook relaxing all day, i could have come over and helped dude

Its your day off phil and you've got jake! didn't want to ask.
Nah, still not done, havn't even got the old one out yet lol. 7 1/2 hrs, cats off dp is stuck, just can't get it to twist out! Prop shaft is out the way just can't get the subframe down.
Waste of my day wish i hadnt bothered starting!

thats my thought mate, only grinder i have is 9" blade and i don't have an air chiesel :( need to find something else to use!

Its your day off phil and you've got jake! didn't want to ask.
Nah, still not done, havn't even got the old one out yet lol. 7 1/2 hrs, cats off dp is stuck, just can't get it to twist out! Prop shaft is out the way just can't get the subframe down.
Waste of my day wish i hadnt bothered starting!

Russ i would have arrange something, Jake has been running around with the twins all day, have you started on the mani yet?

I did try and pre warn you last night lol!

I used a 4 inch grinder, lots of little cuts, a lump hammer and sharp chisel. Eventually did it.
My mates stepdad( guzzy on here ) did dp and sports cat fitting in 2 hours on his s3 I was impressed with that.

Keep at it, borrow or buy a 4 inch grinder or a recip saw with long blade.

Sean

That'll teach me for arrogantly thinking I could get the dp/mani done in a day lol
Yup tomorrow I'll be taking to that flexi with some heavy handed revenge, need it done asap as I'd prefer to drive this to work on tue rather than my 3 cylinder ibiza ( ita supposed to have 4 ). I've dislocated my shoulder snowboarding about 9 times so working right under a car on axle stands sucks, I know the mani is supposed to be worse but it suits me much better!! Bring it on lol
Cheers for the help and advive, should have some better news and maybe some logs tomoorow...

Russ i would have arrange something, Jake has been running around with the twins all day, have you started on the mani yet?
Jake could have played with the baby lambs and kept the mrs entertained, oh well :) I intended to get the dp off then hit the mani while I had a touch more space to play with but got so stuck up with getting the dp off I havn't bothered with that yet...Think I need to earn a few more brownie points with Jo as shes kept me in tea, coffee, stew and biscuits so I owe her a proper day off next week!

Feel your pain dude, keep at it and you will get it done. You will need to remove the turbo before you attack the manifold, so check if you have the correct socket for those 3 bolts holding the turbo on and then see if you can loosen them before you loosen the manifold nuts. I didn't have the correct socket so ended up welding std nuts to the top of the bolts and the heat from welding helped loosen the nuts.

i bet you thinking about removing the head now :yes:

I did mine yesterday it was a right pig!. I dropped sub frame the steeeing joint was holding it up so i loosened that off an got an good 2 or 3"s drop. Still had no luck so moved the prop still no good. In the end i pulled the drive shaft out an managed to wiggle the dp out that way. Took a good 10hrs lol. Never again. Good luck

ok Phil, i admit defeat. I will happily take you up on your offer of help!

Oh mate, don't feel bad though. Sounds like you gave it your best shot. It's a difficult job and with your shoulder injury I know where you coming from I've broken my left collarbone twice in 2 places so not cool!

I just hope your happy with the end results :)

Sean

Big thanks to Phill Millar who drove over and helped me get the dp on the turbo, wouldn't have got it done without that help as I had got to the point of torching the car;) Cheers to everyone for your tips, help and advice, as ever ASN doesnt dissapoint!
Manifold next week.......

Anytime dude, glad I could help, I have to say its easier on a 2 post ramp :) let me know when you wanna do the mani I will bring hobnobs:) it will be good fun and isn't to bad hohonest let me know what it goes like when you drive it, like I said I noticed a difference on Ron, sounded loads better

I've never even done an oil change, although I did fit the TIP to my A3. But ill think ill be paying someone to do my dp and mani by the sounds of it.

I've done clutch, gearbox and headgasket changes before so i'm not totally clueless with a spanner. However not having a two post ramp, not having a 4" grinder and doing it all on my back on axle stands with a dodgy shoulder made it a real ***** of a job. To anyone who is reading this thinking about doing this, make sure you have a very good and varied tool ki, preferably access to a ramp, plenty of time, a good attitude and a decent grinder. If your missing too many of those things you'll have a miserable time or won't get it done, its not a job for the faint hearted or ill equiped. I'm not trying to put people off, just make them think first!

I've done clutch, gearbox and headgasket changes before so i'm not totally clueless with a spanner. However not having a two post ramp, not having a 4" grinder and doing it all on my back on axle stands with a dodgy shoulder made it a real ***** of a job. To anyone who is reading this thinking about doing this, make sure you have a very good and varied tool ki, preferably access to a ramp, plenty of time, a good attitude and a decent grinder. If your missing too many of those things you'll have a miserable time or won't get it done, its not a job for the faint hearted or ill equiped. I'm not trying to put people off, just make them think first!

I need to make some ASN friends.. FAST :).