Help with steering play

I

imported_velcrobix

I've noticed that there seems to be some play in my steering. When stationary if i turn the steering wheel side to side there is some movement before the wheels start to turn. I've recently had my wish bone bushes replaced and the tie rods on both sides so it cant be either of those.

Any ideas what else could it be?

I think RichA3Turbo recently replaced a bush or mount for the steering rack which cured a similar problem...

Try a search on here for bushes.

Kev.

It didnt cure the problem, but helped...And that, and chanigne tie rods and wishbone bushes eliminated all other possibilities. I hate to be the barer or bad news, but your steering rack is the problem...Mine is the problem too! You can eliminate the play in the centre by adjusting the rack, but this puts too much pressure on the pinion and mweans you cant turn the wheel from lock to lock... I suggest you just live with it, and save ip the ££ the mean time.

RIch

Cheers for the help. Any idea on how much ££ it will take to replace the whole steering rack. I'm assuming it's going to be very expensive???

IIRC S3 sterring racks are around £900 ish + vat + fitting. they are shared with the TT quattro in case you can find one from a breakers with a low mileage on it.

May look at getting a used rack. Even so i should still think it will be some what over £1000 to replace.
May have to do it though because my steering feels quite 'loose' and know where near as crisp as when i got the car 18 months ago.

You defo sure its the rack? have you had someone wiggle the syerring while you check if the tie rods are moving too. You may have some play in other components that when added together are contributing to this play.

[ QUOTE ]
You defo sure its the rack? have you had someone wiggle the syerring while you check if the tie rods are moving too. You may have some play in other components that when added together are contributing to this play.

[/ QUOTE ]

We have both replaced everything else that it could possibly be. Wheel bearings are not a possibility... If they had that much slack the car would sounds like it was falling apart.... Bushes replaced (Every singel one!!), tie rods replaced, .etc. Only other possibility is the universal joint behind the dash is worn...unlikely though, but something im going to look into.

RIch

I've had it checked out a few times by different garages and non of them found anything 'loose', and one place did sugest it was the steering rack. Just got off the phone to my local garage and booked it in next week for them to have another look. I can get my current rack reconditioned for £150 + vat and the garage i'm booked in for next week gave me a quote of about £100 + vat for fitting (will give exact quote when they've had a look at the car).
This seems a much cheaper option if it is the steering rack.

Is there any way of knowing for sure if it is this???

[ QUOTE ]
i take it the s3 rack is different to the a3? theres an a3 on ebay at the moment

[/ QUOTE ]

S3 is lower ratio than A3...

Rich