Monster MotorsportSky Insurance
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Prawn

Thread: S3 8L Stg1, Stg2 & Hybrid Boost Pressures.

Neutral

Status

S3 8L Stg1, Stg2 & Hybrid Boost Pressures.

What Boost Pressure figures are you likely to run on an S3 8L with:

Standard -

Stage 1 -

Stage 2 -

K04 Hybrid -

Many Thanks.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sje00 View Post

Standard -

Stage 1 -

Stage 2 -

K04 Hybrid -

Many Thanks.
    What max boost or red line boost?

bit of an open question really

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbuggy View Post
    What max boost or red line boost?

bit of an open question really
    He actually bought the Hybrid turbo from yourself (his name is Brad, Blue S3 8L).

i understand your going to see Peak boost and then it'll tail off. but obviously the different stages if tune will be asking for different levels of boost pressure, no?

RIP S3dave

Status

Standard -

Stage 1 -

Stage 2 -

K04 Hybrid -

Many Thanks.
    as dan says, kinda wide open question.

Are you asking what the turbos will be safe to run (as opposed the engine) or what you think they will do "bolt on" as it were

Unknown Variables including make or hybrid, their choice of actuator pressure, and of course the map, which at the end of the day will try and control to a level of boost.... and the mapper who is doing said map.

typical hybrids.. aiming for 20-22psi peak/sustained depending on factors of egt's, timing pull, which in themselves are dependant on other engine mods (ex mani, downpipe, intake, intercooling, WMI or not etc.............)

Are you planning on just getting a hybrid to bolt onto your car for no other mod? (is it remapped already?)

Stage 1 (*map) - 18psi approx
    Stage 2 (*map) - 22psi approx as long as it can hold it for <presumes mods are there supporting stage 2 high boost etc>

Hybrid, very much dependant on spec of hybrid.... Dont fixate on boost.. If its larger, same boost of stage 2 k04 will flow more air for same boost and make more power.. Its all about the flow
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

NEW NEW NEW eShop now LIVE>
    www.badger5.biz

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

6th Gear

Status
    He actually bought the Hybrid turbo from yourself (his name is Brad, Blue S3 8L).

i understand your going to see Peak boost and then it'll tail off. but obviously the different stages if tune will be asking for different levels of boost pressure, no?

Blimey I wondered what happened to Brad..

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
    as dan says, kinda wide open question.

Are you asking what the turbos will be safe to run (as opposed the engine) or what you think they will do "bolt on" as it were

Unknown Variables including make or hybrid, their choice of actuator pressure, and of course the map, which at the end of the day will try and control to a level of boost.... and the mapper who is doing said map.

typical hybrids.. aiming for 20-22psi peak/sustained depending on factors of egt's, timing pull, which in themselves are dependant on other engine mods (ex mani, downpipe, intake, intercooling, WMI or not etc.............)

Are you planning on just getting a hybrid to bolt onto your car for no other mod? (is it remapped already?)

Stage 1 (*map) - 18psi approx
    Stage 2 (*map) - 22psi approx as long as it can hold it for <presumes mods are there supporting stage 2 high boost etc>

Hybrid, very much dependant on spec of hybrid.... Dont fixate on boost.. If its larger, same boost of stage 2 k04 will flow more air for same boost and make more power.. Its all about the flow
    Well its got

Welly style FMIC
    B5 3'' TIP
    3'' downpipe and decat
    Miltek exhaust
    Badger Jetex filter and shield
    Samco Elbow from turbo to FMIC.

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    stage 1 - 21psi

Stage 2 - 21psi

hybrid - 21psi

it's a sweet spot.

Difference is more in timing and fuelling IMO.
    Westy and s33nyboy12 like this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

Neutral

Status
    Blimey I wondered what happened to Brad..
    a daughter and a house lol But we're both still into our cars big time!! :-) (check out my 106 Rallye thread)

Well he had it mapped at AmD Essex and it was shocking. really ****e tbh. But the bloke there claimed ''thats a really good one that!''

Took it to Atspeed racing put another stage 2 map on it and back to back runs on the dyno proved the Atspeed map made 40lb/ft and 30bhp at 4000rpm more than the AmD map. It was stonking! it felt a completely different animal!

Months later, the hose from the actuator to the inlet split causing overboost. but it cut power big time in the higher gears.
    so he had the hose replaced said it didnt feel quite as 'urgent' or 'quick'.
    So today we took it back to the same dyno at Atspeed, and it made less power and torque and was only running 14psi. So we checked for fault codes and it came up with low supply voltage to ECM. Checked the fuses and connections alike and cleared the fault code. Also we uploaded the map again and it cam back with peaking just over 16psi and settling back to 14psi again. it now feels like it did before, and brad is happy again.

thats why i wanted an 'average' or 'rough' estimate on boost levels.

The car goes in to have rods and hybrid fitted monday, but we didnt want to have the starting to be mapped for Hybrid/Stage 3 if there is a problem with the car at the moment that could effect it.

5th Gear

Status
    Post his dyno runs up with logs if you can , would be interesting to see.

Sean
    Current: 2013 Audi A3 2.0 tdi s line 8V in black SD nav+ extras, E46 BMW M3, 1971 Volvo p1800, 2014 Ford transit sport 155ps ;-)

Previous : Focus st 225 stage 1 (265 bhp and too much torque), 2002 audi s3 bam engine completely OEM, 2001 Audi a3 1.8 TQS 221bhp and about 20 other cars, majority civics ek4/ek9 and Bmw / Audi soot chucker's!

6th Gear

Status
    a daughter and a house lol But we're both still into our cars big time!! :-) (check out my 106 Rallye thread)

Well he had it mapped at AmD Essex and it was shocking. really ****e tbh. But the bloke there claimed ''thats a really good one that!''

Took it to Atspeed racing put another stage 2 map on it and back to back runs on the dyno proved the Atspeed map made 40lb/ft and 30bhp at 4000rpm more than the AmD map. It was stonking! it felt a completely different animal!

Months later, the hose from the actuator to the inlet split causing overboost. but it cut power big time in the higher gears.
    so he had the hose replaced said it didnt feel quite as 'urgent' or 'quick'.
    So today we took it back to the same dyno at Atspeed, and it made less power and torque and was only running 14psi. So we checked for fault codes and it came up with low supply voltage to ECM. Checked the fuses and connections alike and cleared the fault code. Also we uploaded the map again and it cam back with peaking just over 16psi and settling back to 14psi again. it now feels like it did before, and brad is happy again.

thats why i wanted an 'average' or 'rough' estimate on boost levels.

The car goes in to have rods and hybrid fitted monday, but we didnt want to have the starting to be mapped for Hybrid/Stage 3 if there is a problem with the car at the moment that could effect it.

Ahh I see.

i think 16psi for a stage 2 is quite low tbh. Maybe the actuator was weak?!

i think it was said before but when you come to map this, surge is the enemy.. You need to keep the boost just below the surge point till around 4.5krpm typically it'll be around 18-19psi. Then once clear you can up it to 22ish psi till redline. EGTs also become an issue and whilst you may get high boost its not really worth it as you'll get no gain from more boost over running less boost more timing.

I'm sure your tuner will have his own way of mapping it.

Neutral

Status
    Ahh I see.

i think 16psi for a stage 2 is quite low tbh. Maybe the actuator was weak?!

i think it was said before but when you come to map this, surge is the enemy.. You need to keep the boost just below the surge point till around 4.5krpm typically it'll be around 18-19psi. Then once clear you can up it to 22ish psi till redline. EGTs also become an issue and whilst you may get high boost its not really worth it as you'll get no gain from more boost over running less boost more timing.

I'm sure your tuner will have his own way of mapping it.
    We've been doing the research on the limits of the K04 etc. The exhaust side is the restriction, getting hot etc.
    The mapping will be from DNA Tuning. I'm confident with the quality of the maps, its just it had real urgency and response before the actuator vacuum hose split and since its been replaced its not been the same.
    Thats why i was just wondering what the average boost pressure would be. when it was first mapped at stage 2 it made 245bhp atw and 272lb/ft at the wheels and was much better on fuel than previous. The part throttle and in gear response and acceleration was awesome.
    The hybrid has a new Actuator and he's having all vacuum hoses replaced, we dont want to have it mapped again for the hybrid with a problem etc.