Thatcham 1?

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
OK, can someone please confirm wether or not that my 1999 S3 is Cat1 as standard please?
I know it's CAT 2 for definate, and had a butchers at this listing: http://www.thatcham.org/resources/pdfs/compliance.pdf
But, my new insurers want proof of CAT1, and Audi told me it was when I purchased it. So do you think they would back up their claim with a letter(long shot i know) to prove that I have CAT1? Or shall I just get a proper aftermarket CAT1 alarm for the sake of improved Security, not that I've had any trouble in the past with my current set-up.

I think the S3 alarm is only cat2 but I could be wrong, on my insurance i just put factory fitted ive never been asked for proof. Which insurance company is it Ive just gone with bell direct

It's OK chaps, I just called my new insurers up about my dilemma, and they said it's CAT2 as factory fit, and it's adequate, so no proof needed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Got my insurance through Greenlight, they gave me the best quote by far, at a hefty £777.75 with all my mods - which have yet to be fitted - declared. I wasn't expecting to pay over £600, since it'll cost me £420 to insure a standard S3, but their quote beat the next best (AdrianFlux, my current insurers) by £150!
I know af at least an R32 and a LCR stolen from doorsteps in the area in the last 12 months though, so that can't have helped /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Just for the record, all S3s are only CAT 2.

I had a 2 to 1 upgrade done by an independent for £150.

[ QUOTE ]
What is the technical difference between Cat 1 & 2?

[/ QUOTE ]
Cat 2 means approved immobiliser, Cat 1 means approved alarm.

Not quite true.
Cat1 is combined alarm & immobiliser that meets the following:
1. Alarm with full perimetric and volumetric detection, battery backed-up siren.
2. Immobiliser isolating a minimum of 2 operating systems, passively armed.
3. Anti-scan, anti-grab resistance of key codes.
4. Coded fuel valve for L1.

Cat 2 is the same but just for the immobiliser (points 2-4).