Went to visit a local tuner again today and looks like he is looking at VAG tuning...

S3 Paul

Reaction score
A good friend of mine has a tuning company that build turbo kits and tune just about anything japanese , He has however mentioned to me an intrest in VW/ audi tuning as he has built a couple of big turbo golfs and a polo drag car .
The TT i was offered looks like it will be in his garage prety soon as he bought it to test things on.
I knew he had ideas when he asked if i had any good K04 turbos...
I called in today to help with a little fabrication work and he told me he was looking at the options for hybrid k04 based turbos.
I he was busy on the dyno with a customer but he took a moment to show me a new compressor wheel he has had made with plans to fit it into the k04...
Does this look like any of the wheels used in current hybrid k04s??
newwheeltop_zps757c8f17.jpg

Newturbinewheel_zps5afa39ac.jpg

newwheelside_zps631d8a0d.jpg

It's a 11 blade design that's used on the new gt35r turbos.

i think it'll be a little bit pointless on the k04 as it'll offer no real benefit over the current genuine 2283 compressor, but that doesn't mean to say it won't produce good hybrid figures. Typically the more blades you run the more effecient the turbo is at low rpm, but as that increases its efficiency drops off, much like low to high gears on a car. Garret run the 11blade as it helps with low down lag bu doesn't really effect high rpm flows as the turbos so ****** big anyway!

I'd say if the guy will build you a hybrid with it, go for it, looks very interesting and I would like too see how it performs for one.

As always though the issue on the k04 isn't he compressor but the turbine housing and controlling surge below 4.5k I think that compressor would only add to your woes the last thing a 1.8t hybrid needs is a better compressor at low rpm.. Just my opinion though.