Sky InsuranceVolks Autos
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: VPower vs Normal Shell Unleaded (8L 1.8T)

5th Gear

Status
    i use "cheap" fuel normally morrisons. been mapped. havent had 1 problem. pulls like a train. been running like this for well over a year.

may gain a few ponies in dyno terms but in the real world i don't see any difference, MPG is pretty much the same aswell. pointless spendng extra when there is no need.
    Audi A3 8L 1.8T breaking.
    front bumper, impact bar, slam panel, full engine and loom sold.
    everything else for sale.

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status

VPower vs Normal Shell Unleaded (8L 1.8T)

I always run my A3 on v power and have been doing so in my S3.

Certified S3 Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by jay1601 View Post
    i use "cheap" fuel normally morrisons. been mapped. havent had 1 problem. pulls like a train. been running like this for well over a year.

may gain a few ponies in dyno terms but in the real world i don't see any difference, MPG is pretty much the same aswell. pointless spendng extra when there is no need.
    There's plenty of need; you're just too much of a stinge to have seen the benefit.

Either your car has boost leaks and isn't running right so it cannot make benefit of the extra octane; or you've put a fiver in and expected to feel the difference immediately.

I'm sorry, but anybody who says there is no "real world" difference to running V Power over Morissons fuel on a remapped 1.8t is a fool. The difference is massive and slaps you clean in the face after you've done a tank full of V Power then gone straight back to cheap normal fuel.

Torque, power, fuel economy, responsiveness. It's all there, totally night and day.

On any well mapped, healthy 1.8t the difference is ridiculously blatant.
    A3AH likes this.
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 16Klappe View Post
    There's plenty of need; you're just too much of a stinge to have seen the benefit.

Either your car has boost leaks and isn't running right so it cannot make benefit of the extra octane; or you've put a fiver in and expected to feel the difference immediately.

I'm sorry, but anybody who says there is no "real world" difference to running V Power over Morissons fuel on a remapped 1.8t is a fool. The difference is massive and slaps you clean in the face after you've done a tank full of V Power then gone straight back to cheap normal fuel.
    when i first bought the car for the first 4-5 months i ran V power. and also when mapped was using V power. then had to switch for normal shell fuel as V power was out, since then didn't borther with V power anymore. saw no difference in terms of performance.

when doing 40+ miles a day just seems stupid to spend an extra 5/6p a litre when I see no difference, and as to your comment no i don't have a single leak in my air system. pulls to a bar fine and holds -20 vac.
    Audi A3 8L 1.8T breaking.
    front bumper, impact bar, slam panel, full engine and loom sold.
    everything else for sale.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Using high octane fuels like V-Power on a mapped car can make a difference of 10-20bhp and god knows how much torque... timing advance is free power and also increases torque... this is fact! and have seen the difference fuel octane makes on the dyno...

Std cars suffer much less drop in power as they are conservatively tuned plus the ECU does a bloody good job to make the driving experience consistent... but you DO get better performance from high octane fuel over std 95ron...

Whether you feel this difference is subjective to level of tune and power output of your engine... on the dyno its only too obvious..

At the end of the day you pays your money you make your choice but its a false economy IMO as V-Power does give improved power and MPG under the right conditions (I.E. not driving it like you stole it everywhere as all bets are off then)

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Certified S3 Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by jay1601 View Post
    when i first bought the car for the first 4-5 months i ran V power. and also when mapped was using V power. then had to switch for normal shell fuel as V power was out, since then didn't borther with V power anymore. saw no difference in terms of performance.

when doing 40+ miles a day just seems stupid to spend an extra 5/6p a litre when I see no difference, and as to your comment no i don't have a single leak in my air system. pulls to a bar fine and holds -20 vac.
    Then as I said; your engine isn't healthy enough to see the benefit and is unable to make use of the higher octane or you're just a bit special

Literally; it is totally night and in all areas. How anybody with a remapped car could say it is not worth it is totally beyond me; it is SUCH a difference.

Have some evidence -

As we all know from recent events I have been ridiculed for data logging; but after a dyno run nobody can argue that my airflow division has in my case accurately been able to calculate my BHP to within 1%. Whilst this doesn't work for everyone; all of my sensors are correct and dividing my airflow by 0.8 had accurately predicted what my car has made on a rolling road three times on the bounce. So it works for me, unquestionably.

I have been seeing 196g/s of airflow every time since my new mapping, the other day I drove to my nearest Shell to fill up. I had a work friend in the car and I did a log to show him how it worked and to explain how I was able to predict my power this way.

Here's the log -

Which divided by 0.8 perfectly calculates my 245bhp. As seen here -

I got to the Shell and they had no V Power, so I didn't have any other choice than to put £20 in. Within miles my engine felt flat, slow, dull and torque was down. So just to cure my curiosity I did a data log -

So as we know that my airflow calculations are right, the vehicle is obviously struggling with keeping the timing nicely advanced due to the lower octane being less controllable under compression. Which has a knock on effect and retards the timing, which makes the car request less boost, which effects everything down the line.

That's almost a 13bhp loss from three years of NOTHING but V-Power to £20's worth of cheap ****e.

The difference ruined me, so totally night and day. I have since filled up with V-Power and the the car is slowly getting back to what it should be, I've only done 30/40 back on V-Power miles and already my timing is advancing and the car is feeling more potent again. I wish I'd never even put the cheap fuel.

So unlike most; I have proper factual evidence that V-Power benefits my engine with a back to back log within minutes of each other.

Then never do them.

1st Gear

Status
    Factual jardo FTW

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Jardo lets his g/s do the torq'ing!
    A3AH likes this.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!

Certified S3 Slayer

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Jardo lets his g/s do the torq'ing!
    Sig'd.

Then never do them.

Neutral

Status
    Thread resurrection...

The previous owner of my S3 put standard unleaded in it. Now, I always record the trip mileage when I fill up and how many litres it took to fill up, so that I can calculate "real world" mpg (miles travelled divided by fuel used converted to gallons).

When I first got the car, I was getting an absolute maximum of 24 mpg (combination of school run & urban driving plus a run up the A329M to Reading). On the school run itself, I was getting an average mpg number in the high teens according to the DIS. Oh and the performance was decidedly soggy below 2500rpm...which was quite a lot of the time in heavy traffic.

Curious about the claimed benefits of super unleaded, I moved to Shell V-Power. First full tank load through - no difference. Second full tank load - still no difference. Third full tank load - nope, still no...oh wait, just as I got down to the last quarter of a tank, things perked up. But on paper, my data still showed no significant improvement.

Filled up again and this fourth full tank load is definitely different. I've done 3 days of consecutive school runs this week and I've had an average of 29 to 30 mpg on the DIS every time...that's just the school run too, not with the 70 mph cruise up the A329M! It's unscientific but subjectively I am sure the car feels a little more urge and the sub-2500rpm sogginess has definitely reduced.

It will be interesting to see if what the stats show on my next fill up now that I think I've noticed a difference. My stats on the 3 previous fill ups:

Date Cost Mileage Litres mpg
    19 Feb '13 £64.64 222.7 44 23.01
    26 Feb '13 £73.45 262.1 50 23.83
    5 Mar '13 £73.45 273 50 24.82

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12